• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rev limiter on a 72tii??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I was driving today and having a little fun on second gear when I realized I was close to 7K rpm and climbing. Is there a rev limiter on these things, or if the engine has been modified is able to obtain an higher rpm without damage? If the original rev. limiter is not working, what kind of set up is good to prevent an engine melt down, input please.

Guest Anonymous

The rev limiter is on the distributor shaft as it comes from the factory. However it's possible to remove it. Maybe a previous owner removed yours?

I've removed the one on my '74 tii, and instead I use an MSD 6AL unit which has an electronic rev limiter that is adjustable to your preference by plug in resistors that are supplied with it.

I hit mine for the first time about a week ago as you did. It was quite a wake up call when you're not paying attention, but it does save your valve train.

The rev limiters don't work well when downshifting unfortunately, which is usually the cause of excessive valve float.

Keith

'74tii - Stella

http://www.my2002tii.com

Guest Anonymous

The Bosch rev limiting rotor is still available, but a really poor idea. It operates with a spring that removes the spark from all cylinders when a certain RPM is reached. So you have your foot down and are pulling like mad. The throttle plates are wide open, and that damn device now cuts the spark to all of your cylinders. Since the throttle plates are open and your engine is turning ~6500 RPM, raw gasoline is now being sucked into your cylinders and washing down the walls (this is when you need maximum lubrication). To make a bad situation worse, when the RPMs fall below the magic level, all cylinders start firing and ignite that super rich air/gas mixture. Forget about any controlled burn.

The 'soft' rev limiting of a MSD/Crane/modern engine computer, starts pulling the spark from one cylinder and the good ones vary that cylinder in real time. You now loose power and your RPM's drop more gradually.

The lesson, use the rev-limiter between you ears first (its probably not getting a lot of use anyways). If you autocross/track and have a lot of other things you're trying to do at the same time, the MSD/Crane add-on is worth it for the rev-limiter feature. (I don't think a MSD adds much over a Pertronix for low RPM's, but that's another rant).

Cheers!

John N.