• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Waking up a 1966 NK 1600 after a very long nap

savvy

After reading over this great forum, I have decided to chronicle the awakening of my newly acquired NK1600.

I was first introduced to this particular vehicle in the spring of 1973 when I rode as a passenger on a ski trip to Kirkwood Ski Resort.

36 years later, the owner of the car was sitting in my dental chair in need of another new tooth. Over the past few years my patient had mentioned various projects he needed to get around to doing, one of which was to clean out his garage. He had been putting it off due to the fact that his "old car" was blocking the door and it was hard to move due to the flat tires. The car was the same BMW 1600. On this particular day in August 2009, I asked, "I don't suppose you'd like to trade for your car, would you? Surprisingly, he agreed!

post-19654-13667640560393_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640560763_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Savvy

'65 BMW 1600 4dr-not quite road worthy, but closer

'34 Ford Fordor Deluxe Sedan-currently being rehabbed

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

It took almost two and a half years for my patient to say his goodbyes.

Though I kept up my end of the deal (he had been able to smile sweetly for years), however the bond between owner and car was strong.

Finally, on March 7, 2011, I received a call notifying me that I could finally pick up the car. I showed up at his house with a new Interstate 19L battery, new plugs, coil, oil filter, fuel filter, castrol 20/50, Marvel Mystery oil, a gallon of coolant, 5 gallons of gas, a few tools and an air compressor.

After changing the oil and filter, removing the old plugs, placing a few ounces of MMO in the plug holes, replacing with new plugs, adding coolant, changing the fuel filter, pouring some gas in the tank......and a little in the carb, it was time to see if this baby turned over.

After about 10-15 minutes of priming the fuel pump and adding fuel through the carb intake, she started up!

Idled like a very happy kitten.

After filling the tires with air, it was now time to see if she moves.

Quickly it was determined that rear brake shoes were frozen, the clutch cylinders were dry as well as the brake lines.

I regretfully new that I needed to come back, this time with a tow truck.

My worry in the mean time was that the owner would change his mind.

My worry was substantiated as numerous attempts for requests to return were met with, "I'm not ready yet."

However, to my surprise, on March 29th, he called to say he was ready!!!

On March 30, 2011, I showed up with a AAA flatbed tow truck to pick up the car in San Francisco. It had been sleeping, undistrurbed, since 1985.

post-19654-13667640563474_thumb.jpg

post-19654-1366764056593_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640568291_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640570708_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640572874_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

The car arrived and was dropped off in my driveway at 15:08 on Wednesday March 30, 2011.

My wife would not have it if I left it in the driveway, so I pushed it, very gently, into my garage using the power of my range rover.

Once in the garage, front end in first, I realized that space was very limited.

I decided I would first work on fixing up the rear. After I do this, I will push it out into the drive way, spin it around on a set of rollers, then back it in and work on the front.

I know I need to replace all the vital rubber parts, as well as fix the brakes and clutch.

This is what the rear looked like after I put it on stands:

post-19654-13667640575208_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640577456_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640579958_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640582634_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

I removed the wheels.

The drums were frozen to the shoes, so I soaked them with WD40.

After 15 minutes, the drums came off.

post-19654-13667640584792_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640587087_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640589426_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640591546_thumb.jpg

post-19654-13667640593874_thumb.jpg

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

I have ordered the following and am waiting for their arrival:

Half shaft boots BavarianAutosport .com $34.90

Pr 320i Brake Drums Beck/Arnley ebay $99.00

Reconditioned Rear Brake Shoes ebay $15.00

Pr New Wheel Cylinders ebay $39.99

4 Brake Hoses Blunt Tech $57.74

Flex Disk Weatherford BMW $88.55

Went to Costco to order new rear tires......Costco can not order tires for my vehicle, or for any vehicle that has 14 inch rims. They suggested I go to a tire and rim store like Big O.

I guess I need to call around.

Went to the local DMV to register and change ownership. I pulled number 204. They were on #43. I left.

Remembered that AAA handles registration and titles.

Went to the local AAA.

They could not do it as there are no computer records for cars before 1970 that do not have current registration. I was told I needed to go to the DMV.

I now have an appointment for in a few weeks at 09:40.

So now, I'm just in the "hurry up a wait" mode.

Thanks for visiting.

Cheers!

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

Well....

It turns out I'm bored waiting.

Last night I ordered:

5 P185/70R-14 Yokohama AVID TOURING-S from Tirerack.com $386.49

Pressurizer Brake Bleeding kit from BavAutosports $65.00

All the heater hoses and valve cover breather off ebay from a local guy (paid a little more, but am supporting my community) $100

12 inches 1/4" rubber fuel line Orchard Supply Hardware .79

18 " 3/8" rubber fuel line Orchard Supply Hardware $1.68

Went out the front door this morning.....

Brake Hoses from Blunt Tech arrived!!!

Now I have something to look forward to after work!

PS: I almost forgot....

While at Orchard Supply, I picked up 5 gallons of kerosene to use as a parts cleaner. I asked the "manager" if he had any low, narrow long containers. He pointed me to plastic wallpaper troughs (used to soak pre-pasted wallpaper). I asked if the kerosene would dissolve them. He said, "no way."

Well, turns out it does soften them up so much that they become weak and leak.

I'm now using a metal bucket.

The half shafts are looking pretty spiffy.

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

On Friday the following arrived:

Tires

Brake hoses

Flex Disk

Rear Brake Drums

Wheel Cylinders

Wheel Cylinder Rebuild Kits

Heater Hoses

Breather Hose

On Saturday the following were completed:

*2 rear wheels had new tires were mounted and balanced (original fronts and spare still on car. Will replace after I spin the car and lift front end).

*Flex Disk was removed, replaced with new flex disc and new nylock nuts. Torqued to 35lbs.

*The new rear brake hoses were installed.

*Rear brake shoes were removed. Wheel cylinders were removed. New wheel cylinders could not be placed as the inset mount is triangular instead of round(FAG). Turns out the originals are ATE.

* Rebuilding the wheel cylinders is the next option. While taking them apart, it was learned why the rear wheels were frozen. The wheel cylinder pistons were frozen in the cylinder. After using brake cleaner, the pistons loosened and were able to be extracted. The cylinders were then cleaned and the rebuild kits were installed. The newly rebuilt cylinders were reinstalled. (sorry, no pics).

*The breather hose was trimmed to length and installed.

I'm postponing replacing the rear shocks until I do more research as to the appropriate replacements. (Still contemplating all options).

I'm waiting on arrival of the new rear brake shoes and half shaft boots to finish off the rear end, so that I can replace the rear wheels, drop the car, pull it out of the garage, spin it around, and begin working on the front end.

In the mean time, I'll change the fluid in the diff (90wt gear lube).

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

I myself am in the process of bringing a 66 1800 back to life.

Great to see a very familiar sight, Ours is Turf exterior, and the same interior (color?).

With respect to the rear brakes, I suppose you chose 320i drums because they are a direct swap? Is this an accurate assumption?

Erik,

Clayton NC

Yes I did.

However, I am learning that not all things are as they seem.

For example, I ordered heater hoses and a breather hose that I was told fit 1965-1967 NK 1500, 1600 and 1800.

When I received the hoses, the heater hoses were about 8mm narrower with way too many bends and the breather hose was about 300mm too long.

So far, the info and recommendations I have received from this forum has been spot on.

I'm very glad I found this site.

Cheers!!

Cheers!

Savvy

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser