• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Waking up a 1966 NK 1600 after a very long nap

savvy

Amazing story..So many people would love to be in you shoes on that find!

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***

• 3 months later...

Thanks for your interest....

I'm waiting for a forum member to sell/barter me a running engine as mine died. Also, need to replace front strut inserts as they are frozen.

Hopefully I will have it on the road soon.

Another member went to europe and brought back a dash piece for me.

This forum and its members are GREAT!!!

Cheers!!

Cheers!

Savvy

'65 BMW 1600 4dr-not quite road worthy, but closer

'34 Ford Fordor Deluxe Sedan-currently being rehabbed

'03 Acura TL

'92 Toyota Land Cruiser

• 2 months later...
On Friday the following arrived:

Tires

Brake hoses

Flex Disk

Rear Brake Drums

Wheel Cylinders

Wheel Cylinder Rebuild Kits

Heater Hoses

Breather Hose

On Saturday the following were completed:

*2 rear wheels had new tires were mounted and balanced (original fronts and spare still on car. Will replace after I spin the car and lift front end).

*Flex Disk was removed, replaced with new flex disc and new nylock nuts. Torqued to 35lbs.

*The new rear brake hoses were installed.

*Rear brake shoes were removed. Wheel cylinders were removed. New wheel cylinders could not be placed as the inset mount is triangular instead of round(FAG). Turns out the originals are ATE.

* Rebuilding the wheel cylinders is the next option. While taking them apart, it was learned why the rear wheels were frozen. The wheel cylinder pistons were frozen in the cylinder. After using brake cleaner, the pistons loosened and were able to be extracted. The cylinders were then cleaned and the rebuild kits were installed. The newly rebuilt cylinders were reinstalled. (sorry, no pics).

*The breather hose was trimmed to length and installed.

I'm postponing replacing the rear shocks until I do more research as to the appropriate replacements. (Still contemplating all options).

I'm waiting on arrival of the new rear brake shoes and half shaft boots to finish off the rear end, so that I can replace the rear wheels, drop the car, pull it out of the garage, spin it around, and begin working on the front end.

In the mean time, I'll change the fluid in the diff (90wt gear lube).

interested in the rebuild kit for the rear wheel cylinders, perchance you would have the info so i can purchase a few sets. thanks

ken