• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 2002 is a motorcycle!

oldfahrt

I went to the North Carolina DMV today to transfer my Minnesota title to NC and pick up some plates for my '73. The clerk gladly took my check for $144.20 (it was $47.00 in Minnesota) and handed me a 4x6 inch license plate. I asked what the hell this was and he said the VIN came up on the computer as a motorcycle. Even though the MN title clearly states "2 Dr Coupe", he refused to issue a plate until I have some Inspector come out and verify the VIN. I wonder if he will go up to Minnesota to verify my '72 with expired tabs so I can drive it down here.

In Maine, we have to pay excise tax on our vehicles based on the vehicle purchase price when new. When I bought Vern last year and registered him, the clerk was unable to find any BMW listed in the 1973 reference book.

I said "It was $5,200." The clerk replied, "I'm sorry, I cannot put down what you think the price was." She picked up the phone and called the Augusta DMV, (state capitol). Then she looked at me, smiled and hung up the phone. She said, "You were close, $5233." $20 dollars later Vern was registered in Maine.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

First of all your issue with the motorcycle ID is not uncommon here and is due to the silly computer they use, it looks for a match, and finds a description from its database; there is a BMW motorcycle out there with, in part, your series of numbers in it.

All cars over 35 years old coming from out of state have to DMV inspection (not safety inspection) to verity the car is what it says it is. The DMV inspector will have to verify VIN, that the car is road worthy and then go do a title search, but you will ultimately end up with your title. But I am surprised, they usually give you a plate, you just have to wait for your title. All of this BS is because of some crooked DMV commissioner who a few years back allowed his cronies to title fiberglass Model As as originals and some rampant crooks who were swapping VINS on stolen out of state cars

But now to the good news, welcome to the land of the NC 02 Group, a fairly active bunch of folks. You can visit the website at www.the02group.org for calender of evnts and all. Next event is in 3 weeks, the central VA drive. Drop me a note some time (email on my website below)

Welcome to the sunny south

When I brought my 1600 home from RI, (no titles issued over 10 years old) I had a hard time getting it registered. I followed all the rules and had the RI paperwork for the no title status and a legit bill of sale but my home state's computer couldn't find a model 1600 in the database, so they forced me to put 'Model Unknown' on the title and registration. "are you sure its not a 6 series?" is what the old gal asked me. I was told I can petition the state, but probably not worth the effort. Good luck.

--> 1968 2002 <--

you are in the populous part of the state. I had a small DMV office 5 miles from me in Rural Hall. He, they knew me by name and always found ways to help me out. Only car I ever had to have an inspection on for the VIN was the cab when I swapped it from the Swiss title. Here is about the same, not a lot of people and know when the lines are short. No inspections!

you are in the populous part of the state. I had a small DMV office 5 miles from me in Rural Hall. He, they knew me by name and always found ways to help me out. Only car I ever had to have an inspection on for the VIN was the cab when I swapped it from the Swiss title. Here is about the same, not a lot of people and know when the lines are short. No inspections!
I go that same one to get my titles done. Didnt have any problem getting it for my 02