• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Close Ratio Steering Box Auction (lipstick on a pig)

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After reviewing c.d.'s comment above again, he makes it sound like this other ID plate could be associated with a repair or replacement. Is this the case c.d.? Was this ID plate what would be shipped back to you in the event you sent your box in to ZF to have a repair or replacement performed?

Austin

Santa Barbara, CA

I imagine it could be done for less than $1500

not in this country any more. If you take apart a steering box,

it's a little miracle of avoiding a steering rack (which you COULD have

made for $750). Yes, someone could CAM you one... out of mild

steel that would deform before the wheels turned twice.

That sucker is HARD, and even then, failed quite often.

This country thinks it's above making things any more, for various

reasons and excuses. Obviously I think that's wrongheaded... but I digress... heh...

WHY they avoided a steering rack... probably has a lot to do with the

front suspension geometry, history, what BMW was historically used to doing

and not very much at all to do with the rack itself.

I wouldn't gamble money on that box... but then, I don't think there's any real reason to get excited about a 'quick' steering...

That's me.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I don't think there's any real reason to get excited about a 'quick' steering...

That's me.

t

Quite a few bidders disagree...they are obviously desirable.

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

they are obviously desirable.

yeah, but why? In my driving experience, the 2002

box is plenty fast for what I do...

...sure, if it was in the race car, I might like it, but

it's not going to save me even a tenth here or there.

So it's style over function.

now, a close ratio gearbox that helps with the 2-3 gap,

THAT I can understand.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

i agree toby. i don't get the desirability of the QR boxes. its like urban myth that they are better. i guess since they are rare, then by default they are more valuable. but no necessarily any better. once you ditch the bus steering wheel for a nice smaller one, the steering response and ratio of the stock box is quite good, especially on track.

2xM3

Not really sure when or why Mark's thread got turned into the "we hate CR steering boxes, and anyone who has one also has the intellect of someone who would paint their minivan's calipers red" thread.

Some people (who probably don't paint their minivan's calipers red) actually like the feel of a CR steering box, on the street or the track. Is there any particular reason they should be made to feel they've done something foolish?

Your point is made. You don't like them or see any use for them. Noted.

Austin

Santa Barbara, CA

Not really sure when or why Mark's thread got turned into the "we hate CR steering boxes, and anyone who has one also has the intellect of someone who would paint their minivan's calipers red" thread.

Some people (who probably don't paint their minivan's calipers red) actually like the feel of a CR steering box, on the street or the track. Is there any particular reason they should be made to feel they've done something foolish?

Your point is made. You don't like them or see any use for them. Noted.

I have a small diameter steering wheel that makes my steering ratio quicker. I am assuming the QR box was developed before smaller wheels were commonly available.

Great for racing. Sorry if I offended anyone.

c55b12f3.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

jgerock - Not really sure how you got a smaller diameter steering wheel to change the gear ratio in your steering box. Gear ratios on anything don't change unless you change to gears with more or less teeth. If you change your wheel to a smaller diameter you'll still require the same number of turns lock to lock, as the gears in the box are still the same. All the small wheel does is require more force to turn the wheel, as you have effectively reduced the leverage available to you by reducing the radius of your "lever". More force required to effect the same change does not equal a closer gear ratio.

mlyte - no offense taken. Just hate to be compared to someone who would do something as stupid as painting the rotors on his minivan....even if it was just by inference.:)

Austin

Santa Barbara, CA

true that a smaller steering wheel does not change the ratio of the steering box, but it does change the effort needed and the distance the hands move to affect the same level of turn. the three factors together (ratio, effort and movement distance) help define the "feel" of steering. no factor is better than others, it is a just matter of driver preference in a given application. as in any other car modification, some people are willing to spend a lot of money to change a feel or look of a car. better? if the owner thinks so, then yeah!

purely for entertainment value....the title of this thread is close ratio steering box lipstick on a pig....sounds like an open invite to dis QR steering! ;-)

we shall now return to picking apart cars for sale on ebay and clist....much more material there to work with....

2xM3

Guest Anonymous

i have a QR box and I would be happy to take pictures if you would like to post them Mark. I could even pull the worm gear out.

Anthony