• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Close Ratio Steering Box Auction (lipstick on a pig)

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am pretty sure my 02 has the q/r steering box(something about it being brick colored with the serial number ending in 7s). With them fetching this much, I may just have to pawn it off..

aka Nic01101011

jgerock - Not really sure how you got a smaller diameter steering wheel to change the gear ratio in your steering box. Gear ratios on anything don't change unless you change to gears with more or less teeth. If you change your wheel to a smaller diameter you'll still require the same number of turns lock to lock, as the gears in the box are still the same. All the small wheel does is require more force to turn the wheel, as you have effectively reduced the leverage available to you by reducing the radius of your "lever". More force required to effect the same change does not equal a closer gear ratio.

Sorry - I should have said a smaller steering wheel increases the effort by the driver and results in a quicker response from the steering box. Same number of turns - but a quicker way to get there. Didn't know I would be questioned and corrected by one of my former Engineering professors ;-).

Maybe someone here has an exploded view of the ZF Q-R steering box to show the internals.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Not really sure when or why Mark's thread got turned into the "we hate CR steering boxes,

Not hate, just don't see return on the euro. If I had e1500 to spend,

I could do a LOT of things that would have more value TO ME.

And if I wanted quicker steering, I'd mess with a steering quickener first...

Others can certainly disagree, that's just my take.

My grandfather was killed by a QR steering box

ok, instead of making a tasteless joke, I'll ask- "how???"

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ha! It was me making a tasteless joke!

Just adding a little humor to the QR hater thread.

I do, however agree that some of these parts are a bit overpriced. I'm sure that a QR box is a great addition and makes the car feel even better, but like many others, I think that the value outweighs the advantage. But then, I'm kind of a cheap-o when it comes to stuff like this.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Well, applying another logic, one might say if they were such a great upgrade, then why weren't more sold?

Perhaps the benefits are just too limited on a street car.

Perhaps they are of no advantage on a street car.

Who can say?

Either way, they're rare and expensive now. At this point, I'd much rather have a *perfect* stock box.

TobyB, next time you get a chance, drive a car with one installed. having owned 16 2002's over the years I think I can say, it makes a big difference in the feel of the car. Worth the price? In my opinion yes, after you have experienced one you may think more highly of the QR box.

AnthonyK, if you decide to disassemble your steering box, I would like to pull a mold off of the worm gear and other components unique to the QR box. Where are you located?

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt

Yes, the later production QR boxes (like mine in my tii) where unpainted. Mine has a '84 production date on it.

Though I found a brick red and not obnoxious like the ebay one, that is almost exactly like the factory "red".

I have a small steering wheel and a close ratio. The box is amazing on the track. Its a PITA to parallel park though. Not sure you get much on the street with one.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

AnthonyK, if you decide to disassemble your steering box, I would like to pull a mold off of the worm gear and other components unique to the QR box. Where are you located?

BillyRay, i've got one on the shelf waiting for my ti-clone-to-be. you can make a mold if you'd like. if you are planning to attend brisbane, we can talk. i'd want a ride in your ti for compensation....

somewhere in the FAQ Construction Zone i posted up side by side photos showing the difference between the two boxes.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

The seller got back to me..... If it turns out to have more than 2.8 turns then return the thing claiming not as described.

Dear tjones02,

2,8 umdrehungen von links nach rechts

- fleckischwimmen

If I recall correctly (sometimes) the last time ZF was offering these rebuilt in the late '90s they were coming with this awful bright red paint on them.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

jerry, after studying your photos in the construction zone I don't think I possess the skills to cast an accurate copy of the worm and roller, at best I think I could do a blank for later machining. Not certain if I am going to make it to Brisbane this year, if so we can discuss.

You are welcome to drive the ti. I think you will find the Sport steering box well...Sporty.

Professionals are predictable; it's the amateurs you have to watch out for, you never know what they are gonna do!

Murphy was a Grunt