• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Almost done with heater box rebuild but...

bigtoe71

I have pretty much finished rebuilding a heater box on a 76 02. Read the faq on it and that was really helpful. I am having issues with the heater valve control arm. I had to build a lever (couldn't find one anywhere w/o having to buy a new valve) and it moves freely until I attach it to the bowden cable, which I checked for free movement prior to putting it all back together. My heater box has no mounting point on it for the valve and am wondering if that may be the issue?

I found the cable moving a little too freely so I secured it with some zip ties to restrict the movement some but still have pretty tight movement on that particular control cable...all the other ones seem to be moving fine.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Dave

dbertaud@gmail.com

76 2002

that's part of the heater housing; they were fragile even when new and many have been broken over the years--especially when trying to replace the short heater hose.

Once you've reinstalled the heater box and connected the hoses, you'll find they're stiff enough to hold the valve in place without the bracket, thus allowing proper Bowden cable operation.

If you're a belt and suspenders guy, fabricate an L-shaped aluminum bracket for the valve and attach it to the heater box with stainless steel screws and Nyloc nuts. Pop rivets are liable to crack the heater box.

I broke my valve bracket some years ago and the hoses have held the valve in place just fine.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had a lever built and think I found my problem. I was figuring the cable would secure and work fastened to the screw and washer assembly I had come up with. I ditched one washer, drilled a pilot hole through the lever and fed the cable through that. Seems to be working alright,,, for now. I'm just waiting for Murphy to come into play. Now on to draining and flushing the rest of the system and filling it up. Hope to be running by the end of the day!

76 2002

I just had mine repaired and had to get an "L" shape aluminum brace built to secure the heater valve to the heater box. The plastic brackets are very brittle. Glue it and also use a pop rivet so it will be strong.

I also replaced the Bowden cable since these cars are old. Make sure that you try the heater controls in a simulated position(as if they were on the dash) before you fasten the cable to the lever on the heater valve and before you tighten the screw holding the cable(s) to the heater box housing. -Raine

I also replaced the Bowden cable since these cars are old.

are these cables available still????

i just had a co-worker braze a little extension on my broken cable. i determined that there was enough clearance to actuate the valve and not have the brazed joint interfere with the sleeve.

the other issue is the small rotateable bolt with the hole. they are prone to breaking during disassembly.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa