• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pertronix for 02 Turbo. Help needed.

R1190

I am considering upgrading the distributor of my Turbo with a Pertronix ignition but I do not know what the right kit for my car is. Distributor no. is 0231180014 and the points are the one you can see in the photo. I have searched in the forum and faq section but there is no any reference to 0231180014 distributor.

Do you know which Pertronix # is ok for that distributor? Has anybody upgraded a Turbo with Pertronix? Is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks, Pepe de la Parte.

IMG_4621_20.JPG

IMG_4607_20.JPG

I'm sorry I screwed up, when I got back to the shop I checked and the Turbos use the 1847V pertronix. I used the other unit in my older 02.

Thanks for your help. Anyway I have sent a request to pertronix.com and they should confirm the correct one.

A couple of questions regarding your Turbo. Mine has a red coil with a resistant wire (see pictures). Does your Turbo have the same configuration? Did you replace the coil when installing the Pertronix kit? Did you modify the resistant wire?

By the way, it is funny to see that the coil of my Turbo was made in Spain. I do not know if it has ever been replaced (I have not replaced it and I am the first Spanish owner of my car), but I prefer to think that the world is plenty of 02s with Spanish coils.

Regards from Spain, Pepe de la Parte

IMG_4632_20.JPG

IMG_4639_20.JPG

I have never seen a BMW with a factory installed Red Coil, I am sure it was installed after the car was delivered at some point. Yes my car has the resistance wire. I supply the Pertronix with 12v+ switched with the key not the 8-8.5 v+ from the coil.

A lot of people just run them with the lower voltage from the coil and have not had any problems.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC