• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Texas considers highest speed limit in nation

f1reverb

Full story . . .

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/04/texas-considers-highest-speed-limit-in-nation/1

By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY

(Rock star Sammy Hagar, lead singer of Van Halen, helps apply the 6 on top of a 5 as the maximum speed limit is raised from 55 to 65 mph on Highway 101 near Santa Rosa in Northern California on Sunday, Dec. 17, 1995.)

As lead singer of Van Halen, Sammy Hagar once crooned, "I can't drive 55." To show how far things have come, now some Texans aren't happy about only driving 80 miles per hour. The Legislature is considering raising the maximum speed limit to 85 mph, highest in the country.

I-5 through the California Central valley is posted at 70. My drive through there on Saturday I was cruising at 75-80+ and being passed by minivans, SUVs, and such. I wasn't amazed at the speed they wanted to drive those vehicles at, but more so that they would want to spend that much in fuel to drive something that big at that speed. Regular was at $4.20 a gallon.

I once had a CHP officer comment that the "55 saves lives" pitch was true, except for the central valley I-5 stretch. He said, "If you drive at 55 out there you'll die of boredom".

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

what highways in texas are 80mph? everything i drive and have driven is 70 day, 65 night. LAME

speeds should be determined by skills test yearly, type of vehicle, etc.

:D

matt (originally from TX)

none of the major ones ..mostly stuff in east/west texas, pandhandle etc. This really won't change much for your typical commuting driver or for the trips between Dallas and Austin/Houston.

• 2 weeks later...

the stretch of I-70 between Terror Hut and Indianapolis regularly sees packs of cars in the 90mph range. These packs often include yours truly. I did see a bright yellow 90s trans am with tinted windows on the side of the road, behind another car, with its red and blues flashing. sneaky little porcine mofo. There is another "unmarked" I have personally seen, a white-with-"shelby"-blue stripes recent ford mustang, all decked out with body kit and wheels, also with hidden blues and reds.

Some day I'll tell the story of the last time I was on I-10 in the california desert doing 90mph in a clapped out Audi 80 with severe lower engine knocking, in DENSE fog, drowsy as hell, and too afraid to pull over or slow down lest we be obliterated by other drivers passing us at 100+. Including big rigs.