• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My new Bleeder Under $30 bucks.

MrSharky

So here's my new super spiffy brake bleeder. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I pumped it up to 20psi on Saturday, and it's at 18 this morning. First off, total props go to this site:

http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

For the inspiration. I would have been lost without it.

So here's the parts list:

$10.99 Ace 1/2 gallon Hardware Sprayer pn 7215015 (Ace was the only half gallon sprayer I could find)

$6.99 - Pep Boys Master Cylinder Cap Help! pn 42035

$2.99 - Air hose connector (female w/ locking attachment)

$1.99 - Air hose male connector

$4.99 - pressure gauge

Total : $27.95

Compare that to the $54 at BavAuto, and the Motive bleeder at $55 or $75,depending on which one you choose. I think it's a deal.

Assembly is pretty self explanatory - drill into the bottle of the pressure sprayer, and drill into the cap to accept the fittings. I used a tapered bit so the hole was just barely the right size, and nearly threaded the plastic as I screwed in the fittings & the pressure gauge. Then a little RTV around the seams to make sure it seals it up tight. I kept the tubing that came with the pressure sprayer - it's already built to handle the pressurized load - and the sprayer allows for depressurizing the tank if needed. By putting the "close" fitting on the lid, I think I could actually pressurize the system, and remove the bleeder tank with the system pressurized. Then used some couplings for air hoses that I found at Harbor Freight.... Robert is your father's brother.

I'll let you know how it works as soon as I give it the maiden voyage next weekend.

Cheers!

Matt

post-18256-13667640897085_thumb.jpg

post-18256-13667640898628_thumb.jpg

post-18256-13667640900056_thumb.jpg

post-18256-13667640901688_thumb.jpg

post-18256-13667640902705_thumb.jpg

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg

That looks great. I have one of the Motive pressure bleeders and love it. One tip that I gleaned from the FAQ on brake bleeding was to NOT fill the bleeder with brake fluid and instead just use it for pressure. It takes longer because you have to keep filling up the brake fluid reservoir as you go, but it sure makes clean-up a lot easier when you're all through.

--John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

very nice! well done on the bleeder Matt

OBTW. I never received an e-mail from you about the hazard switch. What's your e-mail addy and I'll try sending you one.

thanks

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Hey Armond - I sent it thru this page, maybe a little unreliable, eh?

You can hit me up at mattpickering AT att DOT net

Thanks!

Matt

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

SiteNamecopy.jpg

nice work!

the challenge when doing these is comparing apples to apples on cost. it really was not less than $30.

your $28 listed (sales tax added?), plus gas to go buy the parts, plus a nominal value for your time for buying parts and labor to build it, plus the beer you drank when making it, ends up being way more than $55 for a motive bleeder.

don't get the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but it is frequently much cheaper to just buy one built. :-)

2xM3

I kind of agree with this - and you might have a real point there, but there's a huge amount of satisfaction in the "ya, I made that" which has to count for something - at least the 6% sales tax.

My time (outside work) isn't worth all that much - seems all I do these days is sift through the FAQ, wrench on Betty, walk my crazy dog, or drink beer (sometimes it's a combination of all those things).

I didn't do much driving around that I wouldn't have done anyway - I seem to end up at Harbor Freight or Sears (usually Harbor Freight, only because it's easier on my wallet) just about every other day on other projects. Sometimes I just go in there to look around at the parts that I might maybe need some day.

And - it actually prevented me from drinking beers - for one afternoon - which I'd have to put into the debit colum. Of course my beers are about a buck a tallboy, times 3 tallboys, so maybe saved me approximately 3 bucks there.

Of course, what was NOT mentioned in my post, was the numerous parts that I bought to make it, that ended up not being used. That has to add up to maybe 10 bucks, so now it's really close to the price of a pre-made bleeder. But, maybe I can save the next DIY guy from buying parts they don't need. Who knows?

now, if it doesn't work, then all of the sudden I'm out the (very approximately) $28 + the cost of a Motive, and you can say "I told ya so!" ;)

nice work!

the challenge when doing these is comparing apples to apples on cost. it really was not less than $30.

your $28 listed (sales tax added?), plus gas to go buy the parts, plus a nominal value for your time for buying parts and labor to build it, plus the beer you drank when making it, ends up being way more than $55 for a motive bleeder.

don't get the satisfaction of doing it yourself, but it is frequently much cheaper to just buy one built. :-)

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

SiteNamecopy.jpg

no "i told you so" here!! your first sentence is key. just ignore the cost of things like this. it is rarely cheaper, but it is really cool to just make something and have it work!!! that is why we work on cars....;-)

LOL...i could have just BOUGHT a nice, working e30 M3 for less than it is costing me to make an M2. it would have been WAY CHEAPER. but, getting there is most of the fun....

2xM3

when you're done bleeding your brakes with that thing, you can ferment beer in it - saving even more $$.

+1 :)

Although, I'm a big fan of 'gansett Tallboys. At $4.99/six pack, it can't be beat!!

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

SiteNamecopy.jpg