• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ready to give up and buy a 128i, what would you do ?

york

not trying to buy a car from my past

I have owned 6 2002's (not since 1980) I have taken road trips

(4) around north america all in 2002's , first trip from florida to british columbia in a 1967 1602

Ive owned every kind of porsch and truck, but now want to return to my first love 2002's

Ive still got my old blue bmw 2002 shop manual

Don't just drive around in a 02, drive a 02 around North America

The reason a lot of people go to "cheap" parts as you call them is to improve the handling or performance in their eyes. I bought a BONE stock 76 2002 with 60k miles and have gone through and put billy's on it, sway bars, springs, weber, recaros and some other stuff because I prefer that. People build cars to the way they want them. I would say find the closest you can and then build it the way you want it.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

You know, there are a lot of good reasons to pick up a 128i. I think the naturally aspirated N52 is a wonderful gem of a motor, just turbine smooth, high-revving, and full of power; even the controversial exterior design I think will age well. I also think the experience of owning a made-to-order BMW from new is pretty special, and that every BMW enthusiast should get to experience it at least once.

That said, one of the things we all love about BMW is its legacy and its pedigree, and of course none of us would be on this board if we didn't think, to some degree, that "they don't build them like they used to."

As much as I love my 128i, and as much as I believe it is a BMW through and through (even kind of an "old school BMW," at least as much as possible), you really must understand that it won't sate your desire for a clean '02. Hell, I love 1ers more than anyone, and I'm here keeping my eyes peeled for the right 2002tii. I'm also lurking on E28 boards because I'd like to pick up an old M5 or 535is. Basically, if you've got that itch, the 128i won't scratch it - not because it's not a great car, or even a great BMW - but it aint a vintage BMW.

2010 128i

untitled2

bob I love your thoughful posts, so I thought I would ask you, why

did BMW revive the Mini instead of 2002's ?

and also I beleive the reason for 2002faq is that many of us beleive that they do not build them like they use to.

As blogs and roundel letters state many feel BMW has gone luxury on us.

Gary York

Don't just drive around in a 02, drive a 02 around North America

bob I love your thoughful posts, so I thought I would ask you, why

did BMW revive the Mini instead of 2002's ?

All we can do is speculate, but I think BMW has made a conscious decision to not take their brand overtly retro, in the way VW has with the New Beetle, or many US makers have done with the pony car resurgence. Sure, BMW has cashed in on the retro fad with the MINI brand, but they're still protecting their core brand. Plus the MINI has been pretty well received by critics and performs well enough that it is usually viewed as much more than simply a retro styling exercise.

But BMW does make nods at it's past, and often. As I'm sure you know, the 1 Series Coupe was heavily marketed as the "spiritual successor" of the 2002. Whether that was sincere or if it was just marketing drivel is debatable - for my money, the 1 Series is indeed a back-to-basics BMW, which of course means different things to different people.

I think there has been something of a backlash in the '02 community against the 1er because of BMW's trying to associate it with the 2002, even going so far as using the "tii" suffix in a concept. Can you imagine how much worse that backlash would've been if BMW had actually used the 2002 name? The fact of the matter is BMW will not ever, and in fact cannot ever, build cars the same way they did in the 1970's and 80's. To me, that is BMW's "golden age." Technology marches on, but even modern BMW's have a distinctive BMWness that is pleasing to the owner/operator. And BMW's strong commitment to its past and its traditions is evident even in it's latest offerings. The way I see it, BMW is still making traditions and future classics.

2010 128i

untitled2