• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Many 1600 Owners Have Five Speeds?

ClayW

I'll play along.

I have an original driveline 69 with mechanical clutch and  a 232 4 speed which is now bunk. Was thinking of a 5 speed (having one on the shelf) but decided it best to leave it alone.

The effort to swap to hydraulics, change out to a short neck diff, and deal with a drive shaft as well as axles and control arm flanges was an easy one to not do.

Given how many 1600's have fallen to the NLA part supply and thus needed to be upgraded, original ones left alone seem like the right thing to do.

Mine will be a mild "outlaw" in that I have upgraded to a 242 trans (having one on the shelf) and now a hybrid drive shaft to work with the long neck diff and 4 bolt yoke.

BTW, 1600 motors being silky smooth comment is so true. when my car sits idling you can hardly tell it is running.

If anyone reading wants a 232 with Porsche Syncros for rebuilding I have it for you.

Edited by conkitchen

But what do I know