• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

slot cars

bueller

Hey guys,

Is anyone into slot car racing as a hobby? My brother and I used to be when we were kids in the early '80s, and we still have our stuff. But with recent posts seeing very different and very cool current cars, I'm wondering what is the current market. Is there a site you frequent for purchasing stuff?

My brother and I saved up $90 from yard money for months to get this great track at Sears! hahah!

TIA,

Matt

FAQ member #4044

Hey guys,

Is anyone into slot car racing as a hobby? My brother and I used to be when we were kids in the early '80s, and we still have our stuff. But with recent posts seeing very different and very cool current cars, I'm wondering what is the current market. Is there a site you frequent for purchasing stuff?

My brother and I saved up $90 from yard money for months to get this great track at Sears! hahah!

TIA,

Matt

I have 3 slot car tracks down stairs in boxes that me and my brother used. I remember the distinct smell they made :P

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

There's guy in Brunswick Maine who has a slot car exclusive shop, Slot Car Junction, 1/32 scale lots of cool stuff, large track with 4 lanes. I recently purchased a complete BMW Art Car set he had made by FLY. Just bought a 1973 Alpina 2002 on Ebay to use on the track.

A lot different than the old Aurora AFX stuff of the late 70s early 80s.

post-12435-13667641164544_thumb.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Ah -the memories of my youth..

First was the "Hot Wheels" track that had a car wash with battery-powered rollers that shot the cars up the orange track. Next came a "Power Passers" set that my dad mounted the track to a large sheet of plywood. Later, I recall playing with some friends A/FX slot cars - they do have a distinctive smell.

I believe there are some other folks here that still have and "play" with slot cars.

Anyone here remember SST racers? They were the ones with a plastic "T" with teeth that wound up a single rubber wheel on cars.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

The SST's had a comeback in the late 90's, so my son was able to enjoy lo-tech fun. The build quality was no where near as tough as the originals. His gave it up early on, no large wooden ramps, no clashes with full-size autos, nor fireworks were involved and the new toy still couldn't hold up.

My mom and dad kept all my toys. Lucky me. I sold a bunch on ebay and antique shows. Still have more to go. Some is in good shape, some has been well played with but may be useful for parts for someone.

I had both Tyco and Aurora/AFX slot cars. The AFX ones were always cooler. We would cobble together Tyco bodies onto the the AFX chassis for variety. The Pantera was my favorite. For fun you would put a drop of oil on the corner track of your friends lane. We used flour to stage some burnouts. I sold the lot of those at a show a few years back.

The one set I did keep is a Lionel Pikes Peak set. Corvettes and Mercedes. I need to find a suitable AC to DC transformer for the system. I've got gobs here at work, Just need to know what voltage- 6v, 9v, 12, 18???

I lived in a two story house. Elevation was everything for a good hot wheels track. Could never get that first corner right at the bottom of the stairs. But we did line the track up to go down the stairs, then out the door, and launch off a ramp into the front lawn. All the HotWheels stuff is going to go soon. Some orange track & pieces, but the jewel is the Sizzlers Big O track. Amazing that it survived intact. I must have gotten it later on as a kid. HotWheels came out with the XV racers, so my son and I did get to do some oval track racing.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Nice. yeah, our orange hotwheels track was sold many years ago to my dismay in a garage sale or something. We had an old house that we stored stuff in. All of our starwars vehicles were stolen, but i still have the figures.

I think our Sears purchase was a Tyco track. Quite long but just two lanes and constant cleaning with the big pink erasers! hahah

matt

FAQ member #4044

Just arrived, I'm like an excited little kid.

post-12435-13667641401641_thumb.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

do those race or just sit on the shelf? :D very nice!

Bought the 2002 to race and modify. The Art Cars will visit the home track occasionally, for exhibitions. 3 of them are NLA.

Andrew Wilson