• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002Tii in Seattle

Mark92131

Guest Anonymous

Note that it's a snorkel nose--hard to see, but clear in one of the pictures. I've been severely burned on a snorkel nose "tii" several years ago not being an actual tii and including falsified VIN tags and title. Surprising that someone would have gone to that effort given the risk for the relatively small extra premium in price compared to say falsifying a muscle car, but it unfortunately happens. I'd never again assume that a tii with a snorkel is authentic.

Hence one of the reasons why I'm primarily an Alfa guy now, although I still have a soft spot for '02s or I wouldn't be here and I've always had one E30 or another for the last 20 years as a daily driver. Now, certainly there are a good percentage of real tii's that just have a replacement nose (none ever came from the factory with a snorkel despite claims made by some) from accident damage or terminal rust. But, just that small percentage that aren't authentic is enough for me to run away. If it was the correct nose, then in this case it's a good price for what looks like a solid car (detailed inspection needed of course--tiny pics can hide a lot of issues). It does seem a bit too dark to be Ceylon so I would expect a color change and perhaps a lower quality repaint since it doesn't correctly match an original color.

Gary

p.s. I'm passing this info on to you because of the "Palouse" in your username. I'm a WSU alumni also in eastern WA.

Thanks for your input guys. I would like to find a good clean car that I could drive right away. I've got a 1968 1600 that was given to me and I need to get it out where I can start evaluating what it needs. Get rid of the rat nest first thing! I also bought a rust bucket parts car, a 1974 2002.

The owner sent me some additional photos and the car looks very clean and complete. I've asked him about the snorkel nose and additional history.

68 1600 Bristol

72 2002 Malaga

72 2002 Agave

74 2002 Fjord rust bucket

74 2002a Chamonix