• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I WAS WONDERING HOW LONG THIS WOULD TAKE

RIMSPOKE

THEY HAVE GONE AFTER PEOPLE HERE WITH "VEGGIE CARS" ( DIESELS THAT RUN ON COOKING GREASE )

BECAUSE THEY ARE DRIVING ON THE ROAD BUT NOT PAYING ROAD USE TAX ON THEIR FUEL .

A FRIEND OF MINE HERE IN RALEIGH WAS DOING VEGGIE CONVERSIONS AT HIS SHOP

AND GOT A FRIENDLY VISIT FROM THE STATE WHERE THEY TOLD HIM

TO STOP NOW AND THERE WON'T BE ANY TROUBLE .

NOW THAT ELECTRIC CARS ARE STARTING TO SHOW UP ON THE ROADS IN GREATER NUMBERS , IT's ONLY A MATTER OF TIME BEFORE THEY GO AFTER THEM TOO .

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_electric_car_fees

SO WHAT ABOUT PROPANE OR COMPRESSED NATURAL GAS ?

reodor.gif

There are discussions in Minnesota about taxing based upon miles driven. With the increasing prevalence of alternative fuel vehicles, the Dept of Transportation foresees losing out on millions of dollars in revenue used to rebuild infrastructure as more and more cars avoid the gas pump all together. There is a test starting here where devices are being fitted to cars to track mileage and other usage patterns.

cmp

I know I will regret this.

Where have you been??? Cars running on renewable or alternative energy do not pay a gas tax which is where the federal funds to the states for road repaair and construction come from. It's been an issue for years. So because they arent paying the gas tax and their cars produce road wear???? The proposals that have all been defeated called for a $100 fee per year. I imagine that states will catch up and a charge when you register. Or better yet when everyone is driving hybrids or alternative fueled cars just let the roads and bridges fall apart...

WHERE HAVE I BEEN ?

FOR YEARS NOW I HAVE BEEN WONDERING WHEN THE GOVERNMENT WOULD CATCH UP ON THIS .

YOU CAN BUY NON-TAX DIESEL AT RURAL STATIONS AROUND HERE FOR 55 CENTS

LESS PER GALLON THAN THE GOING RATE BUT IT IS STRICTLY FOR NON ROAD USE .

THEY FILL UP THEIR BACK-HOES , BOBCATS & BULLDOZERS WHILE THEY ARE STILL ON THE TRAILER FROM THAT PUMP

BUT HAVE TO PAY THE FULL PRICE FOR THE SAME STUFF THAT GOES IN THE TRUCK THAT PULLS THE TRAILER .

THE PENALTIES FOR PUTTING THE NON-TAXED FUEL IN A ROAD VEHICLE ARE ENORMOUS AND GUESS WHAT ?

THE NON-TAX FUEL IS LACED WITH RED DIE SO THE DMV ENFORCEMENT GUYS CAN TELL WHICH FUEL YOU HAVE IN YOUR TANK .

I AM WELL AWARE OF THE ISSUE RICHARD . JUST WONDERING HOW LONG

IT WOULD TAKE BEFORE THEY START CLOSING THE LOOPHOLES .

reodor.gif

I read the OP as alternative and hybred vehicles should NOT have to pay taxes that go towards road repair. Since our government is having a possible going outa business sale the other abuses you mention will hopefully close soon. As to the states not being able to collect $100 a year on an electric and alternative ca ris ???? If I remember fedtx on gas is $.23. The alternative and hybrid owners are still getting a huge reduction in their tax bill

IF THEY USE THE ROADS , THEY SHOULD BEAR SOME OF THE COST OF KEEPING

THEM IN GOOD WORKING ORDER , LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DOES .

THE NUTS & BOLTS OF APPLYING THAT CONCEPT TO ALTERNATIVE POWERED

VEHICLES CAN BE DIFFICULT , BUT AT LEAST THEY ARE THINKING ABOUT IT .

reodor.gif

dont know?

BUT WHY ARE YOU YELLING????

Relax dude! It's RIMSPOKE. Do a search!

But I hear the intermanet poolice are gonna start taxing us by the letter. Caps will be double. RIM's days are numbered.

Although, as the years go by, the larger type ~is~ kinda nice for the eyes.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

SAME THING IN FARM LAND - FINGER LAKES REGION

up state New York - my relatives have always maintained

two storage tanks at the farm - one for "over the road"

vehicles (mit-tax), the utter for the CAT, John Deere and other implaments (no-tax)

of construction / destruction

no veggy oil for my 300DT - I like the pure

diesel for my motor spinning bits

diners 'up here' instead of handing out the buckets old fryer fat

for free for the asking now ask for BUCK$ to hand over the new GOLD

W123300DTand2002.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Do not forget the huge tax credits offered to buyers that purchase Hybrid/alternative fuel vehicles.........Maybe some of those bucks could be applied to the road use tax. A thought........

Earl

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

IT LOOKS LIKE OBAMA IS CHIMING IN ON THIS TOPIC .

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/159397-obama-floats-plan-to-tax-cars-by-the-mile

THE PART THAT BOTHERS ME IS THAT A MILES DRIVEN WOULD PROBABLY BE

A TAX IN ADDITION TO RATHER THAN INSTEAD OF A FUEL TAX .

YOU KNOW IT WOULD MOST LIKELY WORK OUT THAT WAY .

HEY , WHAT IF THE GPS IS POWERED BY A 12 VOLT ELECTRICAL SYSTEM ?

THERE WOULD BE A RUN ON 6 VOLT VEHICLES .

reodor.gif