• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing old roundels fron hubcaps

nbristow01

Before resorting to the torch you might try soaking them with WD-40 spray and letting them sit for 5 min. or so. It works very good at getting underhood decals off and might work on the hubcap Roundels. If not, you've lost nothing but a little time and a little WD-40.

Bob Napier

Goof Off which is acetone and xylene should dissolve the glue, faster than WD-40.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

My method:

set oven to 200f

put cap in oven for about 5 minutes (makes a little stank)

wear two oven mits--remove cap, use small pocket knife to pry up a corner and then a wooden Popsicle stick to pry around the remainder---the glue will turn dark yellow/black and fully come off with a soak in goofoff.

Do this only when your wife/girlfriend/husband/domestic partner is out for a few hours.

-Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

My method:

set oven to 200f

put cap in oven for about 5 minutes (makes a little stank)

wear two oven mits--remove cap, use small pocket knife to pry up a corner and then a wooden Popsicle stick to pry around the remainder---the glue will turn dark yellow/black and fully come off with a soak in goofoff.

Do this only when your wife/girlfriend/husband/domestic partner is out for a few hours.

-Ben

I always wait until she is asleep so she has no clue

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

Goof Off which is acetone and xylene should dissolve the glue, faster than WD-40.

I just did this last week. Goof Off is the way to go. You may kill a few brain cells, but it works like a champ. Used a cheapo Harbor Freight yellow trim pry tool after goof off did its job - no scratching of the cap. Also used it to remove the glue residue left on the cap after roundel came off.

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

If I can find a decent mechanism, I'm going to turn my set of four into some wall clocks. I looked at Hobby Lobby for the mechanisms...but were a bit too small...and way too cheesy for my taste. I'll make one for me and gift the other three to interested parties if I find the right "look".

Samplemaven

BMWCCA #420368

'72 2002 Tii Inka restoration project

'07 550i Titanium Silver, steptronic...ED 2006

If I can find a decent mechanism, I'm going to turn my set of four into some wall clocks. I looked at Hobby Lobby for the mechanisms...but were a bit too small...and way too cheesy for my taste. I'll make one for me and gift the other three to interested parties if I find the right "look".

i made several clocks from hubcaps & wheel covers a few years ago...i got the works at michael's a crafts store like hobby lobby