• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB My 1st 2002 - SF Bay Area

hegedus

I am looking to get my first 2002 to be used for a daily driver. Since it is my first car I want to be able to see it in person so it should be preferably an SF bay area or CA car, though other west coast sites are an option. I prefer a 2002, not tii and also I prefer not a '76 because of smog requirements. I have a reasonable budget (and more importantly my wife's OK).

Must Have

No/Little rust (no structural)

Tan Interior

Reasonable paint

Should have

Sunroof

Roundie

Original Seats

Color:

1st Green, Red, Burgundy, Orange, Black

2nd Blue, White, Sahara

No Silver

Nice to have

5 Speed

Weber 32/36 carb

A/C

If you can help out this noob join the fun, I can be reached at

hegedus (at) alum (dot) mit (dot) edu[/b]

Lucky guy; you're in the right place to find a very well-preserved roundie! In the Midwest, we have to travel far and wide to find one that isn't eaten up with rust. (Athens, AL is where mine previously 'lived') Good luck w/your search.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Go to this: http://www.bayarea02.com/

Happy hunting.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Hey Hegedus,

Good to see a fellow Burlingamer on the faq board. You might try Kwan at Beyond2(in Burlingame) to see if he has a lead on anything. He keeps a somewhat current website showing 2002's for sale that he's brokering. Also, the Bay Area Swap & Show is around the corner and there are always cars for sale at that event. I'll keep a look out for some decent examples and keep in touch if anything pops up. Cheers, Todd

Kwan #344.0566 or gps888@gmail.com

'65 1800ti granada, '70 2002 atlantik, '75 2002 fjord

'91 318is, '01 M5, '10 535xi m sport wagon

Guest Anonymous

I was just pointing this out in another thread, but http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2331320479.html (NM/NA). It meets your must-haves, one of your should-haves, and top color choice. Swap out the AT for a 5-speed after enjoying it as-is for a while and you'll still be way ahead finanically by starting with what looks like a very solid unmolested car with plenty of life left. That's the most important thing if you plan to daily drive an '02. I would have a hard time too pulling the trigger on an AT myself, but after owning a large number of 70's and 80's BMWs and Alfas, I've come to understand that the condition is much more important than the specification especially when any deficiencies can be remedied like with a transmission. See the thread here, http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,356985/, for my other comments.

Gary

I've got a very clean roundie I'm restoring to sell its a 1973( last year of roundie) and its git a 71 motor (less Ca smog restrictions)

It's white with a very clean blue interior. It's a non sunroof but its got a clean paint job and is all there.

Il bring photos to bayarea02 meet. Should be ready to enjoy in a month or two, I'm in san Jose so you could stop my and drive it.

Also be very weary of sunroof cars as they have potential of rusting out rocker panels due to the drain tubes from the sunroof.

Goodluck

Also be very weary of sunroof cars as they have potential of rusting out rocker panels due to the drain tubes from the sunroof.

I will second that. I wouldn't spend any extra effort trying to find a sunroof car vs. one without. It seems like a neat extra, but they typically are more trouble than they are worth as far as extra enjoyment.

Gary

What? No love for the Polaris? Dayum.

This one actually looks to be a decent prospect........

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2350442880.html

Judging from that engine compartment pic of your nice looking Polaris, I'm thinking the guy who painted it had no love for Sahara... (or maybe it's just bad lighting)

That malaga one on CL looks a little premium priced for what is pictured. Obviously it's got a replacement all-plastic '74+ grille. My bigger reservations though come from looking at an '02 down off Sunnyside Rd. way back in the mid 90's (back when the weekly AutoTrader in hardcopy only was the way to find cars--brings back memories of hitting 7-11 each week when the new version was put out (Thursday?) to scour it for new offerings). That seller definitely did not impart confidence in what he was selling for way too much and also was talking up his dad's other cars. Sounds like the same guy to me all these years later and if he starts talking about Peugeot 505s, you'd know for sure.

I'm wondering what is "Euro-version" about this car given the protruding turn signals--if it happened to be a square light then that could explain the "wrong" grille and the Euro claim in combination a '73 production date, just not the turn signals and rear side reflectors. New tires in the past 10 miles is also a red flag of someone flipping a car.

Gary