• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

refurbished wheels - early alloys

jdt10768

We forgive you bueller in Denver!....early factory alloys are simply gorgeous and close to the hearts of '02 purists for sure (like me). Have you ever looked at a pristine set up close?...they are works of "art" for sure.

You're entitled to your opinion and I can respect that, but you simply "don't get it!" :-)

Happy '02ing!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

We forgive you bueller in Denver!....early factory alloys are simply gorgeous and close to the hearts of '02 purists for sure (like me). Have you ever looked at a pristine set up close?...they are works of "art" for sure.

You're entitled to your opinion and I can respect that, but you simply "don't get it!" :-)

Happy '02ing!

Agreed simply the most appropriate wheel for an 02, beautiful intricate design, the raised lips around the windows are awesome. I used to want minilites but I have those for my MkI Cortina wagon & so didn't want a clone with my 02.

1970 4 speed 2002 (Daily driver/track car ) 
1974  Hybrid powered twin cam engine, Pig Cheeks , ( now a round tail.) Getting ready to Sell 

Are these the famous chromodoras?
COULD BE...COULD BE...the famous CROMODORA'Snot sure if the period wheels had a Cromodora CD# but these days I believe the repro's just have BMW markings on them..?

not the same as either Chromadoras or Campangnolos.

Took me over 20 years to find a set for my '73, and they've been on the car since 1991. Love 'em.

Actually the later factory alloys--the soup plate wheels used on squarelights--are harder to find these days...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Happy '02ing![/quote

opinions are just that, opinions. i'm glad we're all free to express our own. and i was correct when i said the wheels have historical significance to the purist 02er, which i can respect and appreciate.

what if the early alloys were on some other manufacturer from a different era? say, a japanese small suv? would you still think they were gorgeous? can you separate the wheel from the mystique of the 02? actually curious.

matt

FAQ member #4044

Happy '02ing![/quote

opinions are just that, opinions. i'm glad we're all free to express our own. and i was correct when i said the wheels have historical significance to the purist 02er, which i can respect and appreciate.

what if the early alloys were on some other manufacturer from a different era? say, a japanese small suv? would you still think they were gorgeous? can you separate the wheel from the mystique of the 02? actually curious.

did japan make a small SUV in 1970? if the design was right from the period, maybe these wheels WOULD look gorgeous, or complement the design of the vehicle on which they adorn - ? even if they were only available as NON-BMW, aftermarket-only, they would still garner the attention that they have today. Heard of Cosmic? Campagnolo? ATS? FPS? Dunlop? 100+? Borrani? they all look right because they were made in the same time period as the cars were built - and the wheels in question are extremely similar in design to a style of wheels made by CROMODORA in the late 60's-early 70's. Ferrari Dino 246, Fiat 124, etc. Look at the alloy wheel offered on the 2800cs/3.0cs - nearly the same except for a larger center cap...so you need to understand that it is not just because the wheel is associated with "The Mystique of the 02" - gimme a break!

the wheels simply are, and look, period correct.

check out this link, you will see how the CROMODORAS used to look, made for many different types of cars - like it or not - you can always buy Panasports/Minilite copies and hang with the BaT crowd backstage...

http://www.histowheels.com/Cromodora/

curious as to what wheels you are running? would you run E46 alloys on your 2002? just curious?

Lot's of you guys already know this... but many may not.

It's not so much about style, it's about weight.

Aluminum is lighter than steel... but it's not as strong as steel. So, you have to use more aluminum to achieve the same strength.

This means that many alloy wheels are actually significantly heavier than the oem steelies. The steelies are some of the lightest wheels you can put on an '02.

The factory alloys come as close as most to matching the weight of the steelies.

Aesthetics aside, this is one of the reasons they're highly prized.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

Those of us old schoolers know how soft the alloy material is in the original early factory alloys....to the point that you don't want to "overtighten" the lugs or not tighten the lugs "enough" - resulting in wobble and elongation of the stud holes. Finicky?...yes, but worth it?...you bet!

Oh, and btw, I'd love these wheels regardless of what kind of car they are on as long as it's a "vintage ride".....because these "are" vintage wheels.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

thanks for the link. i appreciate all of your input. and earlier when i said different era, i meant different from what 02s were produced. sorry i wasn't clear. since i was enlightened to the 02s existence about 3 years ago, i've been trying to grow my understanding and knowledge of the 02.

i have heard of the other period correct brands/styles you mention and i happen to like some of them more than the early alloys in question. however, it is impossible to claim that the wheel would garner the same attention today if it was standard bmw issue or not. the panasports/minilites are not my taste. i do like the look of e30 steelies a lot, and ats cups appeal to me too. just because a wheel is period correct and looks "right" doesn't mean one is required to think they look good. i would not run e46 wheels on an 02. and of course the wheel is not appealing ONLY because of the mystique. that's a part of it though.

i don't own an 02 yet. i'm learning and investigating as much as possible before i purchase and i hope to continue to gain more info from you guys.

that being said, to the OP, sorry for the highjack and well done on your wheels.

matt

FAQ member #4044

Those of us old schoolers know how soft the alloy material is in the original early factory alloys....to the point that you don't want to "overtighten" the lugs or not tighten the lugs "enough" - resulting in wobble and elongation of the stud holes. Finicky?...yes, but worth it?...you bet!

Oh, and btw, I'd love these wheels regardless of what kind of car they are on as long as it's a "vintage ride".....because these "are" vintage wheels.

I need to check the torque of the lugs since I didn't have the correct adapter for my socket when I installed them. What do you torque to? Thanks very much for the info, John

1970 Agave work in progress

Born on May 14 1970 and delivered May 19th 1970 to NYC to Hoffman Motor Corp. Agave code 071

new guy

help appreciated!

other cars: 1991 318is / 1999 540iT

I need to check the torque of the lugs since I didn't have the correct adapter for my socket when I installed them. What do you torque to? Thanks very much for the info, John

I only go to 72 lbs. on the early factory alloys. Been fine since '97 that way. Just keep checking on occasion to monitor. You should be fine.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

• 3 weeks later...