• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mid America Fest

Yep, that's a 2002, and the hoop is the latch for the "intermediate" seat belts fitted to US 2002s after the "spaghetti belts" fitted to the early cars, 1968-1970 or so and before the inertia reel belts that were fitted partway through 1972 until end of production.

On these styles, a spring-loaded clip fastens around the loop--an improvement over the spaghetti belts, 'cause the buckles don't fall down between seat and tunnel, but they have to be readjusted for each driver, unlike the inertia reels, which are self-adjusting and allow movement while wearing.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks!!! to Bo, Skip, Blunt, Keith, all the vendors, all the cooks, the organizers, the host motel, those who contributed door prizes out of the goodness of their hearts, etc., etc. You are appreciated!

I had a great time. It is worth the long drive to see everyone and to share the good times that can be had in/around '02's. We had a turbo, a right-hand drive touring, a Euro Lux tii, an Isetta, and a targa there this year - amazing! The drive on Saturday was safe & there were very few mechanical issues, which was A-OK. There were multiple small repairs carried out on the parking lot on my '02, Meg's, & Les's touring. (& others, no doubt) We had an '02 there that was just 10 days out of the scrapyard and it looked and ran pretty amazingly.... KUDOS on that resurrection! The technical sessions on Friday night were quite interesting. The Saturday night dinner was superb. The weather was perfect on Friday -- Mike Self & I got there early to tour the Pea Ridge Battle Park -- and Saturday's weather was a major improvement on last year's craziness. Sunday was just plain cold. Odd.

+1

My Touring is now running starting/again. Important safety tip, take a spare distributor! Special thanks to Brad for at least getting it running for a while. I'm not wearing that T-Shirt again!

Had a great time meeting both old and new 2002 friends.

Our drive home in Da Beater was a real event - torrential rain, high winds, tornado warnings, but the sun was out for the ride back in to San Antonio.

Hope to make Mid-America again next year.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

++ on the great time!

Rolled into Denver this afternoon around 3pm. Put 400 miles on today.

350 yesterday with a stop at the Russel Stover candy factory in Iola, KS. Alternator worked fine, holds a steady 13.7V

Lots of "Nice car" comments at nearly every stop. Met a senior fellow at one that commented with a heavy German accent. Said he had an 02 in Germany. Had it fit out at Alpina. He said he could out accelerate the Porsches at the time. But he said, no cruise control, I said not me, I have an Audiovox unit. A real leg saver. He added and it tends to keep from getting speeding tickets! I'm sure he had a lot of stories, but he had to go on.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Barb and I had a great time. Thanks to all who made the trip. We had 02s from 13 states. Hardcore folks.

Big thanks to: the Hiddles & Lantzs for Sat. dinner. Keith K - website and gear design. Skip - posters. Jim K, Aaron L, and Skip - tech presentations. Brian S, Larry W, Ron R, Buddy E, & Skip - gathering door prizes.

There are pics (more to come) at www.midamerica02fest.com

Thanks to you and Mike for the explanations. I'm still able to learn something!

Cheers,

Ray

That ring is for my seat belt. It is my 1969 1600 and Co-Pilot "Mini Maximillion"

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.