• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you swap cluster surrounds?

I think all the black face clusters just have the wood grain panel removed. The problem with that is that the wood grain panel holds the glass in place as well. You would need to get a set of the trim rings like the older clusters have to hold the glass in place. The gauges themselves will fit with no problems.

1976 2002 - sold off to a new home

1971 2002 project. Follow Me!- http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,362574/

it's not done right til I've done it twice

I was wondering if it is possible to swap a wood grain surround for a black one while using the old wood grain gauges?

Yes, I did in mine.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

1. cover the fake wood with real veneer--lots of exotic wood veneers are available at specialty wood shops--get somthing that'll match your woodrim steering wheel and/or shift knob.

2. paint the fake wood with semi-gloss black paint or if you want the Turbo look, semi-gloss red paint.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Yes, the gauge clusters are interchangable.

The 'surround' is actually the structure of the instrument cluster,

so you install your gauges into a different cluster.

There may be some detail differences in the brake warning light area.

fwiw.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Yes, you can swap the gauges from a wood grain surround into the black surround. But you can't go the other way (gauges from a black surround into the wood grain surround) because of the little Brake Failure button on the fuel/temp gauges from the black surround. Likewise, you'll have an empty hole where the button is supposed to be if you swap the wood grain gauges into the older all-black surround. One way to rectify that is to unscrew and swap the face plates on the fuel/temp gauges so that you can have a newer style cross-hair face plate on the older fuel/temp gauge that has the little button for testing the brake warning light.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

You also can sand the fake wood off and just fine sand the black plastic, no paint required. Start with 220 grit then 320, 400, 600 then 800 grit. Nice satin finish.

Previously: 1940 BMW 327, 1951 MGTD, 1965 MGB,1967 BMW 1602, 1969 Lotus Elan, 1970 BMW 2002,

1972 BMW 2002tii, 1973 Porsche 914, 1983 MB 240D, 1987 MB 300D, 1987 VW GTI, 1997 MB E320, 1992 & 1999 Miata

Currently: 1976 2002, 1993 MB 300TE, 2004 MB E320