• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bilstein Upside Down Rear Shocks

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Had been sniped the last few auctions I had fooled with - NOT TODAY. Snagged these pups off Ebay, which so long as they aren't junk inside (which I do not believe they are) go them for a fair price I think. Saw them a few days ago buried in a heading I hadn't expected "BMW 2002ti". Occasionally, there are still deals to be had.

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2011/05/bilstein-sportstossdampfer-upsidedown.html

Just curious. What is the advantage of the upside down style of shocks? Is it just for the original coolness factor, or is there some other purpose? Thanks,

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Just curious. What is the advantage of the upside down style of shocks? Is it just for the original coolness factor, or is there some other purpose? Thanks,

John

years ago, i was given a suspension setup from a wrecked tii. the front struts were the alpina blue dots, basically tii turbo struts with hubs, vented rotors, calipers, and bilstein innards. the rears were upside down bilsteins. i sent the bilsteins in to be rebuilt, and to get the jounce and rebound specs. i have always felt that the bilstein hd rears are way too bouncy, and the sports are way too hard. the alpina's were almost dead on in between, and they worked great. somewhere bilstein has the specs on the ones i sent in, but this was a long time ago.

Ken Inn

Having the shock upside-down puts the body of the shock absorber attached directly to the car body. The lighter, shock rod is now the part the moves in relation to the body, which is the same thing as saying it's now part of the unsprung mass of the car. Having a lower unsprung mass is always a good thing in a suspension design, so in this case every little bit helps.

I feel like there are also other benefits, but that's the main one that I know about.

Tinker Engineering - 2014

Mica - 2000 BMW 323i - The one that started it all

Fiona - 1975 BMW 2002 - The Definition of Project Creep

Heidi - 1988 BMW M5 - The piece of BMW history

Silvia - 2013 Subaru WRX - Stock, for now

I had a pair of these revalved by Bilstein last summer and currently run them on the A/X car. Gave them the car specs and they chose the rebound and compression values. Per their supplied data and dyno charts the rebound rate is about twice the compression rate at higher shaft velocities.

post-19279-13667642459539_thumb.jpg

post-19279-13667642461782_thumb.jpg

73 2002 Tii Sold

71 2002 Ti Vintage racecar

84 BMW 325 E-Prod racecar Sold