• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bay area swap and show

All,

I'm thinking about driving up for the Bay area swap and show.

I'm curious what the atmosphere is for selling stuff. I've got a pile of stuff including a low mileage set of 45 DCOES, a webber 32/36, extra megasquirt stuff, unused strut bars, etc.

How much of the show is swap? I'm probably not going to want to sit around with a pile of stuff on a blanket.. Is that typically what it's like?

Thanks.

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

it is my experience that the swap is best suited to those folks who want to clear out their garage. price your things accordingly and you wont be returning home with them.

you will NOT get the kind of selling prices you find on here or on eBay. there is a well known and certain kind of resistance to pull greenbacks out of one's wallet that is famously absent when pressing a button on a keyboard or paying by credit card.

you will be on a blanket or folding table in the baking sun for the most part if you want to sell.

alternatively, you can put price stickers on all your items and leave a money jar up front if you are so inclined... ;-)

if you have rare items, those are independent of my price predictions.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

At the event, there is a show section and a swap section. If you plan to sell stuff, you need to register and pay accordingly.

Now, I do know that if you are just showing your car but have one of two items for sale, you can probably get by registering for show only. But if you are going to lay a blanket and spead your ware, you need to get a "swap" spot.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

At the event, there is a show section and a swap section. If you plan to sell stuff, you need to register and pay accordingly.

Now, I do know that if you are just showing your car but have one of two items for sale, you can probably get by registering for show only. But if you are going to lay a blanket and spead your ware, you need to get a "swap" spot.

pierre, are you gonna be there?

i'd enjoy meeting you...

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

pierre, are you gonna be there?

i'd enjoy meeting you...

You bet. I go up every year.

I look forward to meeting you too.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Hi,

With that being said regarding the pricing atmosphere on parts at the event, are there a fair amount of cars for sale (clean driver quality)?

Is there a noticeable difference in pricing relative to whats on the board here?

Are there good deals to be had or consistent pricing?

Chris,

What MS stuff are you selling, and what sort of sway bars? I'll be at the show, and I'm interested in the items if the price is right and its what I'm looking for. I'll be in the white w/ rust colored polka dots roundie.

1971 BMW 2002

38/38 DGAS

292 cam

TEP 4-1 header

Ansa Sport muffler

Bilstein Sports

H/R Sports

Full Urethane

Bavaria Control Arms/02 Tension Rods

IE adjustable sways

15x7 König Rewind

Though there is a separate Swap section for those who have loads of stuff... If all you've got will fit on one blanket by your car then I'm not against having some stuff laid out by your car. Since we have no additional cost for Swapping parts I have no problem with having a trunk swap in the show. We really only care about swappers that need an extra car sized or larger spot. That way we can plan the Swap area accordingly.

As for having to hang out by your stuff all day. I in the past have had a strict price list and had family members hang by the stuff while I take breaks to wander the show....

The best solution for you may be to have a page or two pasted on your window with your for sale list (maybe even pictures) and your cell# mentioning that you and your parts are at the show. Then meet the person at your car and open your trunk for the deal..... ;)

HTH

P.S. Pierre, is Jack coming up?

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

when is the bay area swap show...and where(adress) i would like to go if time permits... Ichecked the calendear on the forum but it doesn't open....

http://www.bayarea02.com/

Also check the events section periodically... We have local '02 drives and meets periodically.... If you feel like planning a Saturday drive/lunch feel free to let me know.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewforum/f,16/

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Hi,

With that being said regarding the pricing atmosphere on parts at the event, are there a fair amount of cars for sale (clean driver quality)?

Is there a noticeable difference in pricing relative to whats on the board here?

Are there good deals to be had or consistent pricing?

I found my car at the swap meet :) but didnt end up buying it until a few weeks later :)

1970 02 Colorado Orange(sold)

1969 Charmonix 1600-2