• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002-powered Pro Mod car FS

DavidLMM

What we have here is an old race car…

BMW 2002-based NASCAR Pro-Mod, as raced in the mid-90’s to early 2000s at the Highland Rim Speedway near Greenbriar, TN and Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville, TN. The car has been in the collection of Lane Motor Museum in Nashville, TN for several years, but it has never been on public display. If you’ve ever been here for a basement tour, you undoubtedly saw it.

Built by local sculptor Coley Coleman and driven by former Nashville-based musician Sam Tritico, the car has not seen a track for several years (sounds like it may have last raced in 2001), and the engine is currently out of the car and apart – but the buyer will have the option of selecting a block, head, and assorted parts from our stock of 2002 stuff.

From Sam Tritico: “Coley (sculptor) built it and drove it mainly at the (Highland) Rim. I bought it and raced a few seasons at the (Nashville) fairgrounds (one of the oldest extant racetracks in the US – racing since 1904). It's all made from 1972-4 BMW 2002 parts plus an ARP Beretta body, and the exhaust manifold was built by Jeremy Mayfield. The motor was tweaked out by Corman [sic] in NC and is bullet proof.”

And also…

“It's only real claim to fame is that it's probably the only BMW to ever race in NASCAR sanctioned events. It may also be the only 4 wheel independent suspension car to race at Fairgrounds. My competitors dissed it until I got it tweaked out and competitive; then everyone wanted to study it. I had 3 top 10s at the end.

“I mentioned the great motor. In 60 races, I refreshed it only once, while the other guys were rebuilding the Fords monthly. One time I accidentally put the wrong rear end in,(geared too low) and had to do a 50 lap race at 9500RPM! I was full throttle the whole race, and it was fast as lightning in the corners but slow on the straights. It was one of my best finishes, but all through the race I was braced for it to explode.

“The suspension was a bear to deal with. But It always handled well once I found the setup, and I avoided lots of crashes other cars couldn't. I bet I went through 20 cv joints though.

“Coley won several races and almost a championship in it, on the quarter mile. That was when it was #88, sponsored by Chiquita, and nicknamed the "Banana mobile" I think. When I raced, the Mini-Modifieds were on the 5/8 track. It was a blast. I'd done SCCA stuff before, but the intensity of stock car racing was exhilarating. “

Carl at Korman Autoworks in North Carolina tried to look up the engine under the names of both Coley Coleman and Sam Tritico, but was unable to find anything. Ray did not remember anything about it either. He did admit that records going back that far are sketchy at best. It is unfortunate that they do/did not log build sheets according to block numbers. The engine block is +1672333+, so it looks like a 1970 model.

The engine was determined upon arrival to be “bad”, so we began to tear it down, to find that the pistons have been touched a bit by the oversized valves. The head has been extensively modded – with oversized valves, double springs, and a Dr. Schrick cam (that is too large to fit any of our other heads, so it’s a 316 or better, IIRC!) Unfortunately, it is also cracked. Our shop guy made a half-hearted attempt to weld it up, but admittedly did not do a very good job. It may or may not be salvageable.

Here’s what I know from a quick look at the car:

*Bodywork mostly present, but 1 front fender is missing.

*Cage looks pretty good without being NASCAR overwhelming.

*Koni coilovers at all four corners, along with anodized aluminum and steel suspension parts – wishbones, track rods, etc.

*FuelSafe Pro Cell

*Butler Motorsports Products oil cooler, and remote filtration with SS braided lines

*Griffin aluminum radiator

*BMW diff – don’t know, but assume it’s welded

*BMW trans – looks like a regular 4 speed, with shortened driveshaft

*Appleton steering rack (supposedly “brand new”)

*Auto Meter, VDO, and SW gauges

*Tilton single (clutch) and dual (brake) masters with pedals

*Victory Lane Products seat

*AutoPro belts – well out of date

*Venolia pistons – at least two have been valve-kissed

*Dr. Schrick cam

*E12 head, ported – but damaged

*Custom baffled oil pan – Left turn-biased

*JB Racing aluminum flywheel

*Holley two-barrel carb on custom, hogged out manifold; Moroso air filter

*Custom mild steel “bundle of snakes” header (possibly Jeremy Mayfield-built)

*Standard-appearing 2002 brakes F&R

*2002 wheels, widened to accept Hoosier slicks 10x23x13 F&R

*MSD ignition

What I can tell you is that this will take a LOT of work to make right again – but you’ll probably never see another one! Vintage eligible? Who knows – but it certainly looks like no expense was spared at the time when it was built. There’s potential here, for the right person. I’d be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability, and send as many images of it as you might need. I would love to see the car resurrected and racing again!

Photos here: http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd205/dly17/utility/BMW%20NASCAR/

What's it worth? Anyone like it for $2000?

David Yando

Lane Motor Museum

Nashville, TN

Note: I am leaviong for Indianapolis on Thursday morning for the 100th Anniversary Concours, so may be out of touch for a few days. I will answer emails and phone calls as/when I can. My office number is 615 742-7445, and my work email is yando@lanemotormuseum.org