• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best body shop tools to remove rockers, quarter panels, ect?

asvander

I finally found a parts car with all new body panels installed! Lucky for me it also came with holes in the floor... I have a grinder, spot weld cutter, cheap cut-off wheel, but pretty much no body shop tools.

Anywho, usually when I part a car if I need something off of it I just it off with a sawzall or a cut-off wheel. I have a cheap one right now, and I would like to get a better one. Recommendations?

I was also looking at a seam buster from eastwood. http://www.eastwood.com/smacker-whacker-seam-buster-kit-3pc.html

Are those needed / any good?

My main goal is to get these off without destroying the panels.

Thanks,

Aric Vander Werff

1973 2002tii 1972 2002

I think you got everything you need, I haven't replaced body pannels in an oh2' yet but when I replaced the sills on my 50 year old MGA drilling out the spot welds, all two hundred million of them, followed by a little hammer and dolly work worked the best. Just like every other car project be patient and take your time.

1975 BMW 2002

1960 MGA 1600

Time exists to keep everything from happening at once, space exists to keep everything from happening to me.

i found spot weld cutters to be frustrating to use on all but the flattest smoothest spotwelds. any asperities are likely to chip a tooth and render it useless. I took Martin's advice (great rustoration blog), and got a dozen COBALT drills, 1/8, and 1/4 or 5/16 diameter. i drilled a pilot hole through the middle of the spotweld with the smaller bit, then followed up with the larger bit. in time, you will gain enough experience to know when you've cut through the top layer and can stop before drilling all the way through. Don't be too concerned with drilling holes in the sheetmetal because you WILL need to become proficient with a MIG welder which can repair the holes in short order (using a copper chill plate). Unless you have a means to resharpen your drill bits, be prepared to spend a good deal on new bits. Sharpness is key to productivity. i spent last summer drilling out spotwelds on two scrap cars and now have a nice collection of original panels at my disposal. i bought a spotweld splitter from Eastwood that i found helpful. additionally, a firm metal spatula with rubber grip is very useful as a prying tool and it should be reinforced at the handle so you can use a hammer on it. another useful tool if airtools are not available was a used electric die grinder from Milwaukee tools. it is indispensible for careful grinding in tighter spaces. nothing beats the convenience a smallness of air grinders, but this has worked for me.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

This could really suck-

factory spotwelds can be cut apart,

but if the new panels have been migged on,

it's a BITCH to get them unstuck succesfully.

The mig weld heat- treats itself to be very hard.

If you can, cut away the panels you want and sacrifice the mating

panel- then you can clean off the strips carefully, one weld at a time.

Yes, this means that getting the tail panel AND the quarters off the same

car is a royal pain. It is. That rear join's a real pain to get

apart completely non- destructively.

To your list, I'd add an air chisel and a pair of really good ear protectors.

And earplugs.

They're noisy suckers, but they do work, and sometimes where nothing else

will do a good job.

And lots of thin grinding wheels.

hth

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL