• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I rustproof rotors?

norma

I'm redoing front and rear subframes and adding new big brakes up front and discs in the rear. I'm painting the calipers to prevent rust but what about the rotors? Is there any way to rustproof them? Or do you just remove and clean every so often? I live in the Northwest where it's a real concern. Thanks ahead.

• Administrators

you cvan paint the parts that are not in contact with the pads or anything else, but the braking surface will rus if they sit for a while. But that will come off as soon as you start driving

silver high temperature paint is good and does not look too bling

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

uhhh, I just use the brakes occasionally!

(ok, I lie, high- temp paint from VHT that I get at Action Auto...

the 500 degree stuff seems to do well enough)

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

You paint the hats of the rotors, not the rotor surface itself.

This is sinterted iron and maybe the fastest rusting ferrous metal on the planet.

No big deal, the accumulated rust is rubbed off the first time you use the brakes.

The rotors are really heat sinks, so get hot. This is why you should use a hi-temp paint on the hats.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

One more thing - make sure you degrease them well before you start painting!

Also - if you search the project blogs - I seem to remember a picture that Bill Williams took when he was re-doing Pikachu 2 that showed how he painted the rotors.

Good Luck

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Like Toby, I used VHT on my new Brembo brake drums. They are so pretty that I went with Clear paint. Looking nice so far, but then our humidity lately has been as low as 3% in the afternoons, so rust ain't a big problem down here.

Bob Napier

There is no reason or need to rust proof the rotors - that I can think of. If it is for cosmetic reasons, yes I suppose you can paint the hats, I just pretend rust is a color.

My Porsche rotors get a rust film as soon as I wash the car and I am sure they will rust if I let the car sit for too long. Frankly, I believe is a design feature, to remind me to drive the car often.

FAQ Member # 91