• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Werk Shop

BD84

Anyone have any particularly good or bad experiences with restorations done by this shop? I'm new here, so sorry if I'm covering old ground. Thanks.

1971 2002 Granada ('78-'81) - MIA

1974 2002 Polaris ('11- present)

1973 2002 Turkis ('13 - present)

From what I hear they do top quality restoration work, albeit at a price. They have some beautiful cars in their shop.

On the other hand, I didn't have the best experience with the service end of their establishment. I had them do a "post-purchase" inspection on my recently purchased '76, which not only was more expensive than they said ($280 instead of $200) but contained some false information, which I thought was inexcusable. I had them replace the door seals ($804 quoted, $900 actual). After having my car for 3 weeks I called them up saying that I was going to pick up the car. When I picked it up the next day, the seals had just been glued on, and I suspect needed more time to set. Now the right door whistles when I go over 40mph, a constant reminder that I should have bought the seals from Blunt and installed them myself.

The owners, to their credit, are extremely friendly, and were genuinely sorry that I wasn't happy. Generally I think they're a reputable business, although I personally would look elsewhere for work on my car.

hnichols

From what I hear they do top quality restoration work, albeit at a price. They have some beautiful cars in their shop.

On the other hand, I didn't have the best experience with the service end of their establishment. I had them do a "post-purchase" inspection on my recently purchased '76, which not only was more expensive than they said ($280 instead of $200) but contained some false information, which I thought was inexcusable. I had them replace the door seals ($804 quoted, $900 actual). After having my car for 3 weeks I called them up saying that I was going to pick up the car. When I picked it up the next day, the seals had just been glued on, and I suspect needed more time to set. Now the right door whistles when I go over 40mph, a constant reminder that I should have bought the seals from Blunt and installed them myself.

The owners, to their credit, are extremely friendly, and were genuinely sorry that I wasn't happy. Generally I think they're a reputable business, although I personally would look elsewhere for work on my car.

Regarding the door seals. I assume they used OEM. It takes some time for the door components to compress the rubber and seat correctly.

Did they adjust the door components at all?

If not, do a search on here for Window Height Adjustment and Vent Frame Adjustment. It takes time and testing to adjust everything, even then, irregularities in the rubber can leave small gaps that will close over time.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

"Regarding the door seals. I assume they used OEM. It takes some time for the door components to compress the rubber and seat correctly.

Did they adjust the door components at all?

If not, do a search on here for Window Height Adjustment and Vent Frame Adjustment. It takes time and testing to adjust everything, even then, irregularities in the rubber can leave small gaps that will close over time."

I've done both my car and my wife's car a couple of times each and, other than the doors being a little harder than normal to close for the first 6 mos., or so, I've never had a whistle or leak - just the opposite.

They were either not OEM door gaskets, or, in their haste, were not correctly installed. And if they used 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive (the general recommendation on this board) then it practically sticks on contact - I've never had the door gaskets move from 10 minutes on.

Bob Napier

post-144-13667642559699_thumb.jpg

They just did a tune up on my 74 Turbo. The gave me a 3 page report on everything they found that at some time needs to be addressed. They took care of most of those items. They are top quality but very $$$$. Be prepared for that. I have always felt that sometimes you get what you pay for and they are a prime example of that! I will be bringing my car back to them for the remainder of the work that needs to be done this winter.

Good luck

Brian

1974 2002tii

1974 2002Turbo

e66

Brian,

I am in St. Louis also and need some work done. I am considering metric mechanics or The Werk Shop. Just wondering if you have ever use MM?

Good to know there are other folks near as I am about 50 mins north of Stl in Jerseyville, IL

Morgan

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

Brian,

I am in St. Louis also and need some work done. I am considering metric mechanics or The Werk Shop. Just wondering if you have ever use MM?

Good to know there are other folks near as I am about 50 mins north of Stl in Jerseyville, IL

Morgan

and I spent some time at Greenville College!

Email me with you contact info and I will give you some details. I have worked with both shops in the past. I will not be going back to MM for any work. I might consider buying a head they have made but that would be the extent of anything I would do with them.

1974 2002tii

1974 2002Turbo

e66

Brian,

Morgan

Where are you now in relation to St Louis?

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

Brian,

Morgan

Where are you now in relation to St Louis?

I'm as far northeast as you can get and still be in Il.