• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like I need a new distributor...

FunElan

Apparently the distributor that I had rebuilt a few years ago has some play in the shaft. Does this become apparent with hesitation at part throttle? It stumbles a bit.

I think this question was asked the other day, but for a mainly stock '76 motor (32/36), is it better to have mechanical or vacuum advance? I currently have mechanical advance.

On the bright side, my 5 speed conversion is finally 100% finished after two years!! No more driveline/tranny issues thanks to Scott Parsons and Long Beach Autohaus!!

-Matt

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

The optical triggers such as the crane are immune to shaft wobble.

The pertronix is not - as the shaft wobbles, it varies the air gap between the magnet and the sensor leading to false, or non-firing.

Advanced Distributors can rebuild your unit too. But, make sure that at maintenance intervals, you lube the little felt pad in the shaft with some motor oil, that will extend it's usable life considerably.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet

So a Crane could "replace" a rebuild? I just drove the car on the freeway for the first time since I got it back and there's a terrible stumble at part throttle. The car is also running warmer than I'd like it to on the freeway. It's really uncomfortable. I'm gonna hopefully take it back to the shop tomorrow.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

I'm going to guess that neither issue - a stumble at part throttle and warm-running car - would be caused by play in your distributor shaft. Presuming you've checked the handful of things C.D. would suggest (like dirt in the carb, jetting, fuel delivery, timing, valves, et alia), we might check to see that the advance mechanism and plate in the distributor are functioning properly. Have a qualified individual check it all out (yeah, like Scott at L.B. Autohaus). -KB

Hey Ken, I'm gonna take it back to LB autohaus in the morning. Unfortunately Scott's out of town but I'll still have them look at it. This only started happening because I had them adjust the timing, so I'm realizing it's probably adjusted incorrectly.

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167