• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rare "Model 76" 2002

bluebmw

I know that there was a batch of 200 1976 BMW 2002s made in polaris/red leather with alloy wheels and electric sunroofs.

Does anybody have anymore information on these? It seems like they were either never produced or they all disappeared.

I was thinking about doing a "Model 76" Clone. Would that be cool or what?

Also, would a clone like that have any resale value, or would it just be a money pit?

1966 2000ti Chamonix - old racer, new project

1967 1600 Bristol - stock as a rock

1976 2002 Pastellblau - Alpina tribute

Parts For Sale - The Paddock

They do exist. I saw one in the flesh in 1984 at O'fest held in Albany. I think it was brought by Joe Chamberlain although I could be mistaken. It definitely catches your attention with the red leather seats. I haven't seen one since.

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Would be a money pit. You could clone it but it would be cause you like it.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

2002s built. Actually all 1976 US spec 2002s are referred to by the factory as "modell 76" cars; these were just the last batch.

Polaris silver, red (real) leather interiors, "soup plate" alloy wheels and electric sunroofs. Never seen one in person or in a junkyard, but a few popped up for sale in the Roundel many years ago (before the days of e-bay and the internet).

It would be simple enough for someone to e-mail BMW Classic and ask about 'em...maybe I'll do that; sounds like a column topic.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nov '09 there was a Schwarz '76 with Electric Suroof & red leather seats (stated as original) on Ebay. No clue if the exterior colour was original.

I have not come across a Polaris '76 with red leather, but there was a '76 Polaris for sale with a stated original Blue leather interior.

It should be said, a lot of Sellers seem think the regular vinyl is leather.

post-18626-1366764256186_thumb.jpg

post-18626-13667642563188_thumb.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Nov '09 there was a Schwarz '76 with Electric Suroof & red leather seats (stated as original) on Ebay. No clue if the exterior colour was original.

I have not come across a Polaris '76 with red leather, but there was a '76 Polaris for sale with a stated original Blue leather interior.

It should be said, a lot of Sellers seem think the regular vinyl is leather.

that has the right style and shade to be factory correct. I imagine it was possible to special order a car back then - especially if you were living in Europe. Judging by the cracking and tearing, those seats are definitely leather and not vinyl.

1973 BMW 2002 Sahara

I know of a 76 2002 With factory Electric sunroof, tan interior and anthracite exterior..It was shipped to FL about 6 years ago from Cali and itis never driven out of the gated community it is it...It is for sale for around 5k.

69 2002

04 GTI 1.8T Daily Driver

1974 2002 (Wife's car)

**Vintage BMW meet Uptown Altamonte Springs, 2nd Saturday 7pm Near 436 and I-4 in Altamonte Springs FL Email me for details***

after seeing your post this morning i thought it might be wise to check with the source, so I e-mailed Joseph to see if he remembered the car. below is his response, quoted with permission

Jonathan-

Yes, I did bring to that Ofest a so-called "Final Edition" 2002, which belonged to a friend of mine - he had it for sale and wanted the exposure. Supposedly, each BMW dealer was sent one. They were all silver (Polaris) with red leather interior. Other than that, they were just a regular 2002. Sadly, I don't think I have any pictures of the car. A number of people at the event showed interest in it and shortly after Diana and I returned to East Awfulgosh, the owner ended up selling it but I have no memory of who bought it.

-Joseph

2002s built. Actually all 1976 US spec 2002s are referred to by the factory as "modell 76" cars; these were just the last batch.

Polaris silver, red (real) leather interiors, "soup plate" alloy wheels and electric sunroofs. Never seen one in person or in a junkyard, but a few popped up for sale in the Roundel many years ago (before the days of e-bay and the internet).

It would be simple enough for someone to e-mail BMW Classic and ask about 'em...maybe I'll do that; sounds like a column topic.

mike

U.S. spec vs rest of the world models - if a significant number were US spec, it's odd that none have surfaced in the last few years.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Its a common marketing theme that BMW has done over and over. The 'DELUX" E12, the E23 L7 and E24 L6, the E28 535is. They pile on all the goodies on the last run of a model (sometimes too much, who really needs a refrig in the back of an E24 6er?). The idea is that customers attention will be drawn to these end of batch models instead of the press about the new model replacing it. Go figure .... Did you know that the German word for Marketing is Marketing. I asked a German executive about this a long time ago and he said: "yes it is an American word and idea that we have adopted" Haha.

And about that 1976 2002 in FL for sale at 5k, whoever you are that is posting about it, can you contact me please. I have a friend in Germany who would be interested in it.

Thanks,

Max

Maximillian Importing Company

www.bimmer.com

800-950-2002

classicbmwparts@gmail.com