• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on converting non-AC car to factory AC system

I am sure there is a comprehensive post out there on this. I have been only able to find bits and pieces.

Seeking comments/ experiences on retrofitting an OE Air Conditioning system from a '76 4 speed model to another '76 factory 4 speed non-Air equipped car.

It appears the full system is intact on the donor car and in theory it should be straightforward/possible. Just want to get real world experiences, is it a bear of a job, etc.

Ultimately during conversion, would upgrade stock compressor to one of the compatible rotary, lighter, more efficient models. I have access to the console with vents and everything behind it, hoses dryer/evaporator (all parts under hood).

I am assuming my firewall is stamped for holes for hoses or holes exist but are blocked from factory.

Thanks in advance.

I did it in my 3.0CSi, and am accumulating parts to do the same in my '02.

This thread has my list of steps:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,357277/highlight,behr+clardy+fridge/

If you have a donor car whose a/c hasn't been run since Carter was in office, be prepared to throw out the compressor and replace it with a newer rotary-style (ie, Sanden) unit, replace the hoses and receiver/dryer, and flush out the evaporator and condenser.

It's a very do-able project when approached one task at a time.

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1988 FrankenThirty 325is, 1999 M Coupe, 1999 Z3, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Thanks for the info Hack and the supporting link. I am sure I will be reaching out to you with additional questions as I start the process. I just want to make sure I don't forget any necessary parts on the donor car.

Will definitely source new lines, compressor and it sounds like you are recommending the dryer as well.

Assuming when you say the fan in front of radiator, that is the turbine fan behind the console in the car, behind the cooling exchanger, behind the console vents- Not radiator at front of car (engine bay)?

On hot days is your AC performance good? I know that is subjective, but driving around town, is the car cool and comfortable or barely above the degree of cold when driving on freeway with windows down?

I assume so, if you are repeating the procedure on your '02.

I have heard many say AC output on these old systems, old 911's included, is marginal at best yet I see so many ads for cars for sale with claims of "ice cold AC".

Hype or possible if setup right?

about the only parts usefull from the 'donor' car

willbe the consol unit - all the other parts are toast because of age,

old oil and metal fragments contamination, bearing wear,

leaking components, worn out from heat, vibrations,

abrasion against other parts

you'll need all new components under the hood

if you want to be reliable and not wast time and

money with 30 year old used up parts

condenser

evaporator

expansion valve

rec. dryer

hoses

compressor

belt

pulleys / tensioner

buy an E30 - be kool

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

On hot days is your AC performance good? I know that is subjective, but driving around town, is the car cool and comfortable or barely above the degree of cold when driving on freeway with windows down?

Yes.

I assume so, if you are repeating the procedure on your '02.

I have heard many say AC output on these old systems, old 911's included, is marginal at best yet I see so many ads for cars for sale with claims of "ice cold AC".

Hype or possible if setup right?

Possible.

I had my system installed years ago in Houston, a very demanding climate. It kept me the driver cool on hot days while wearing a suit but I think the back seat was marginal. Now in Colorado the system is overkill and I can usually run on low speed and everyone is cold. The answer depends on where you live and how much efficiency you put into the system. I have the Behr console and I believe that fan and evaporator are the best to start with. Go as big as you can with the condenser. Use an oversized radiator for better engine cooling and add an electric pusher fan to operate when the A/C is on. Cutting sheet metal is required for the above. Insulate the A/C lines as they pass over the exhaust manifold. R-12 is more efficient than R-134.

For me it was definitely worth it it for a daily driver.

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

Assuming when you say the fan in front of radiator, that is the turbine fan behind the console in the car, behind the cooling exchanger, behind the console vents- Not radiator at front of car (engine bay)?

A/C cars had an additional fan fitted in front of the radiator.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17