• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Former Bob Murphy A4S tii on ebay

JohnS

those pulled quarters and fenders remind me of my old Alpina...really subtle. They take an incredible amount of labor and skill. It looks like a clean car, the emblem on the spoiler is odd, but that is an easy fix.

This car belongs to a fellow FAQer - I hope somebody in the Bay Area buys it, we are loosing all of them around here!

FAQ Member # 91

Interesting car. I remember reading about it on the tii register when Bob owned it. Lots of rare parts bolted on. How does someone verify that it is an A4S rather than an A4? My understanding is that the A4S has a cam in the 320 range??

70 M2 2.5L 

I don't think those where the wheels on it when Bob sold it. I remember Mike showing me this car (rest in peace Mike) and the car had some crazy wheels on it. Mike said that there were probably only 4 sets of those wheels in the US. I wish I could remember what they were. They were not black painted steelies.

Still a cool car though.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

bob murphy's car is NOT an a4s. it is a normal tii, bought new by bob. he basically started getting everything for a tii turbo for his car. the alpina multiple butterfly system i sold to him, way back when. i got the system from randy arnold, who was supposedly an alpina dealer when he lived in austin. bob used to bring back stuff for his car on his many trips overseas. i remember he got the last 5 turbo alloy wheels in europe. he carried a new lsd rear diff with him on the airplane in a flight bag, long before we were all searched. bob bought the remaining a4s air filter elements from me when i worked at dallas european.

update: i just got off the phone with bob, he says if anyone would like to call and ask him about this car, feel free. 281 596 9892.

Ken Inn

Guest Anonymous

I like the car a lot, just posted similar on the "cars for sale" section, not a big fan of the turbo spoiler or the 205/60's (howabout some prielli cn-36's <185/70 vr 13>?)....I should just shut up way too nit picky. If I had the expendable cash would be on it in a hearbeat. Regarding ALPINA engines, the A4 model injected motors were rated between 155/160 bhp depending on the year. They used a 300 deg cam, 46/39 mm valves and typically 9.5:1 cr pistons (Tii). The "S" version ditto the above only 10 or 10.5:1 cr "hemi"pistons (have seen both compression ratio's) and I have seen ratings at 170/175 bhp. Their was also an A4 or A4s motor - for export only that made 190bhp and used the ALPINA 320 cam, it must have been a beast (see link to article below on my blog), but apparently the motor wasn't legal for sale for street cars in Germany (export only). Regarding the subject car, I would say if he says it has the hemi pistons in it it probably does, the only way to know for sure is if it had photo documentation or pull the head (and you would have to pay to do that I am sure).

http://www.alpinabmw2002.com/2011/01/2002-tii-alpina.html

How is Bob anyway? We used to talk on occasion but I haven't heard from him for years. I believe he has been dealing with health issues, as I recall. His car is definitely different....I've got some pics saved around here somewhere. We used to talk fairly frequently back when he was deep into the restoration. As you said, he had the Turbo alloys on his '74tii.

bob murphy's car is NOT an a4s. it is a normal tii, bought new by bob. he basically started getting everything for a tii turbo for his car. the alpina multiple butterfly system i sold to him, way back when. i got the system from randy arnold, who was supposedly an alpina dealer when he lived in austin. bob used to bring back stuff for his car on his many trips overseas. i remember he got the last 5 turbo alloy wheels in europe. he carried a new lsd rear diff with him on the airplane in a flight bag, long before we were all searched. bob bought the remaining a4s air filter elements from me when i worked at dallas european.

update: i just got off the phone with bob, he says if anyone would like to call and ask him about this car, feel free. 281 596 9892.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

bob and jan have moved to a retirement community. bob has a bit of a problem with his sight, so he doesnt read a lot. or email like he used to. looking at the ad brought back a lot of memories. i used to work for mike perkins, who passed away a couple of years ago. mike was one of the finest bmw techs i have ever known. bob and mike had a very close relationship, and bob supplied mike with just about every bmw special tool made. i heard mike had prepped an M3 for some minor movie star, and the car was kicking butt at texas world speedway, and got some serious attention as to who did the car. it was very fast. also, bob's car dont have a turbo oil cooler, bob sold it to me. it was the first time i ever met him. he had brought it back from germany, but decided to go with an indy style cooler, and when i saw it, he had mounted it behind the driver side headlite. bob was always very generous, and i remember when i brought back the alpina intake from austin and showed it to bob. he immediately offered me more money than what i had paid, which was 400 bucks. i could tell he really wanted it, and since i owed him some favors, i sold it to him for what i had in it. i wonder what happened to those turbo wheels? i think that car is easily worth 25k, and those miles are correct.

How is Bob anyway? We used to talk on occasion but I haven't heard from him for years. I believe he has been dealing with health issues, as I recall. His car is definitely different....I've got some pics saved around here somewhere. We used to talk fairly frequently back when he was deep into the restoration. As you said, he had the Turbo alloys on his '74tii.

Ken Inn

Guest Anonymous

As previously stated, there is alot to like about this car. I can say for sure if I had the $$$ it would be in my garage no doubt about it. I remember seeing (maybe from the tii register) some images of the car when either Bob owned it or from when it was for sale, and I recall how the K-fish lines were still pretty much as new, they have a nice amber patina to them now which tells me the owner has been driving the car- and that is great, cause we all know the are meant to be DRIVEN! Think I'll play the loto over the next few days ..... just in case.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

• 4 months later...

Dont know how I missed this post a few months back. I purchased this car for my collection. It is a beautiful car, and runs very strong. I dont know if it is an A4s engine or an A4..All i know is it pulls all the way through the gears and never lets up.

Very fast car...modern car fast... happy to have it. I put a set of Alpina one piece wheels on it and I like it better as an Alpina clone than a Turbo wanna be...Bob did a GREAT job on this car.

A few pics for all to see with the Alpinas. 15x7 in the rear and 15x6 in the front.

Rey

post-483-13667650008106_thumb.jpg

post-483-13667650009204_thumb.jpg

post-483-13667650010248_thumb.jpg

post-483-13667650011438_thumb.jpg

post-18159-13667650012519_thumb.jpg

I'm a BMW Zombie and there's no cure!

Cool beans man! Diggin it!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I MADE IT HOME WITH A SET OF THOSE WHEELS

frts were 185/60 rears 205 60 came off of the

tii touring.I put new tires on 320 turbines .put themon the rear and tow dolly from Texarkana to the Black Hills

IF I go with the 14" bottle caps on the baron I might put them on the 1602 touring.

3421912 ask john

Red Baron a 74 sedanw/ dual webers ,spring,steins,bars. body shop for a full make over

Red Baroness a 71 1600 touring new to me and on the street in Limburg

Old Reliable a 93 318 m42's are soooo cool

Guest Anonymous

I don't know what you paid for the car (and I am not asking) but based on my recollection of what I thought the guy was looking for you got a great car at a great price. Nothing on that car is "unobtanium", although becoming more rare now and harder to find - so you would have to be very patient for a long time to re-assemble that particular set of parts (or throw copious amounts of cash at people to buy). Never saw the car in person, I know though that pretty much everything he did on the car was "right", something that is relatively uncommon these days, not because people don't want to do things this way - but because it costs so stinking much. I am amazed actually that the 15's especially the 7's in the back fit and don't rub. They look good on the car. I thought hard about taking a run at it myself, staring at the shell of the Grp. 2 car in my garage made me have to push away from the table so-to-speak. Glad it ended up in good hands.

www.alpinabmw2002.com