• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Former Bob Murphy A4S tii on ebay

JohnS

I don't know what you paid for the car (and I am not asking) but based on my recollection of what I thought the guy was looking for you got a great car at a great price. Nothing on that car is "unobtanium", although becoming more rare now and harder to find - so you would have to be very patient for a long time to re-assemble that particular set of parts (or throw copious amounts of cash at people to buy). Never saw the car in person, I know though that pretty much everything he did on the car was "right", something that is relatively uncommon these days, not because people don't want to do things this way - but because it costs so stinking much. I am amazed actually that the 15's especially the 7's in the back fit and don't rub. They look good on the car. I thought hard about taking a run at it myself, staring at the shell of the Grp. 2 car in my garage made me have to push away from the table so-to-speak. Glad it ended up in good hands.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

i saw this car numerous times when i was in houston. bob made many trips to the middle east, and on his way back, he would stop in germany. he had befriended a bmw parts guy very high up bmw. he would come back with loads of stuff, all genuine bmw. even nuts and bolts were all genuine bmw. when he got the turbo wheels, his friend did a dealer search all over europe, and the got the last 5 wheels available. the car was taken down to the bare metal, and repainted by one of the best body shops in houston. the mechanical work that bob couldnt do(and he was pretty good, he had a huge garage, and if it had a lift, it would look just like a shop), was done by mike perkins, of bavarian machine specialties. probably the best bmw shop in houston, just ask any m3 owner. sadly, mike passed away a couple years ago. fantastic shop. full on machine shop, chassis dyno, all the best. that car is incredible. the asking price on ebay was less than what bob sold it for. you got a deal that only comes once in a lifetime to very few.

Ken Inn

Guest Anonymous

I never met Bob, but I understand that he was a really good guy (super smart as well). Back in the "old days" before e l e c t r o n i c m a i l and the internet for that fact, communication was via mail and telephone. A loose group of folks about 8 as I recall including myself were associated via Jeff Mulcahy (tii register)....in what he published as the "4-throttle Flyer". The 8 of us were the only ones known to have ALPINA A4 multiple butterfly fuel injection systems. I am guessing there were more (certain of it) only no way to know for sure. Bob was one of the eight, although at that time as I recall he had the system but hadn't installed it. Jeff published a one time 4 or so page letter that had some interesting information on it about the systems and what he had learned from installing his. Somewhere I still have that info - need to find that now come to think of it, would be a good post on my blog.

www.alpinabmw2002.com