• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first Tii

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Wifey found these the other day, snapped in front of my old office on Von Karman Ave. in Newport Beach, November 1990. I believe the Vin of that car was 2763503 and I want to say it was at the Palo Alto show a number of years ago. As I suggested in the post, it had a 300 sport cam in it which worked fine with the ALPINA FI, not so fine with standard Tii injection. I heard the guy I sold it to took it to Leif Anderberg (sp?) and he apparently ground that sport cam to some other milder duration (bummer). Would have been smarter to pull the head and sell it as a unit than ruin that cam (oh well). The car also had AC. Was alot of fun especially with the ALPINA FI, very quick indeed, smooth power from 4k on up.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Guest Anonymous

Pre-Internet, pre-digital camera......"prehistoric". Pretty sad really that I didn't take more pics of the car, and you would think with my prized possession being the ALPINA FI I would have at least taken a pic of the engine bay! I still have some pics of the ALPINA injection off the car (but then again I probably have 100 of those on my blog). Was a relatively rare bird back in 1990. I ended up ditching the ALPINA wheels and going back to the factory tii alloys with BF Goodrich comp T/A's (185/70-VR 13) - the M&N springs dropped the thing about 2" - had a bad ass look, and yet sort of a "sleeper" with the stock look. I miss it.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

, it had a 300 sport cam in it which worked fine with the ALPINA FI, not so fine with standard Tii injection.

i am curious if your setup included an alpina KF pump or was it standard issue pump

if it was a standard-issue KF pump did you do any tweaking of it?

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

I ran the car with a Euro (73) tii pump. It came with the system (the pump that is), that said I don't believe there was any difference between it and a US versrion B-1 series pump. The car ran very well with it, although it was always lean (because a standard pump just doesn't flow fuel right for the A4 WITH a 300 cam). I eventually did end up buying one of the last OE ALPINA pumps from ALPINA (over $2k back then) but never installed on the car as I was just about to sell it. I ended up selling the entire system for a wheel barrow of cash to a fellow in SF, Josh (Inkatouring) ended up with it and installed in his o2 touring, now someone new has it.....just circles around.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

well, that's encouraging (the part about using a standard-issue KF pump). i wonder if you'd have less issue with lean condition if you had opted for a schrick 292 cam? i'm still sorting through my own options when the time comes. i have at my disposal a used Dave Redzus KF pump, an unused Wes Ingram rebuilt pump and a genuine used Turbo KF pump. i was thinking of contacting Gus Pfister to see if he could flow check the Turbo pump and whether he knew what the alpina flow rate was.

i still have plenty of time to sort through this as i am currently knee-deep in the rustoration of 2760440 which will wear this kit at some point.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

It would still run lean with a 292. Running lean of course really isn't a good thing for your motor. I don't believe it was super significant though - no doubt with correct pump it would have been in the sweet spot. ALPINA did things for a reason, they wouldn't have gone to the trouble (or expense) to develop the pump to work just so with the 4 throttle injection and 300 cam if they could have just used a normal tii pump. Sort of like some of those claims I read occasionally about SOHC 8v motors making similar (or some times greater .... hahahaha) horsepower than DOHC 16v motors. Really now, do you think BMW would have invested the millions of dollars in the R&D for those motors if they could have made a SOHC 8v motor make the same horsepower (Germans are smart, I think not).

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Running lean on a Tii motor with Shrick 292 cam and stock K-pump has been a classic for as long as I remember. Ask Fred Beck about overheating motors... But strangely, and I never understood how or why, the rumour was that BMW's own 300° Motorsport cam was fine with a stock pump. Go figure.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Guest Anonymous

Interesting. It ran pretty well with the stock pump (and it was a factory 300). Like I said, it ran really well. If my wife hadn't got pregnant and had I not panicked that I needed to sell the car and get something more "baby friendly", I would have installed that NOS A4 pump and then been able to experience the difference. Inkatouring I think can verify that the work well ;)

www.alpinabmw2002.com

If my wife hadn't got pregnant and had I not panicked that I needed to sell the car and get something more "baby friendly", I would have installed that NOS A4 pump and then been able to experience the difference.

First, you had something, presummably, to do with your wife's condition. Especially since you've referred to your son(s?) in the past and I've actually seen one (or what you claimed was one) with my own eyes.

Second, KF pumps can be tweaked to work with a lot of cams. Ideally, maybe not. But work and work well, yes.

Third, of the many A4 sets up I've driven (mine from the 1980s in Jay's Inka tii; mine in my sahara car -- now Garry Graham's; mine in the inka touring; Michael's in the malaga car) the inka touring was best. But it had a s14 crank in addition to the ALPINA kfish pump, all running on a 304 schrick. Far from what ALPINA designed the pump for....

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Guest Anonymous
If my wife hadn't got pregnant and had I not panicked that I needed to sell the car and get something more "baby friendly", I would have installed that NOS A4 pump and then been able to experience the difference.

First, you had something, presummably, to do with your wife's condition. Especially since you've referred to your son(s?) in the past and I've actually seen one (or what you claimed was one) with my own eyes.

Nope, not me. Yes I do have two, one about to depart later this summer for the University of California, Irvine to continue his education and water polo pursuits. Very nice work indeed by this one both athletically and academically (not necessarily in that order).

Second, KF pumps can be tweaked to work with a lot of cams. Ideally, maybe not. But work and work well, yes.

Agreed

Third, of the many A4 sets up I've driven (mine from the 1980s in Jay's Inka tii; mine in my sahara car -- now Garry Graham's; mine in the inka touring; Michael's in the malaga car) the inka touring was best. But it had a s14 crank in addition to the ALPINA kfish pump, all running on a 304 schrick. Far from what ALPINA designed the pump for....

And like I said, the A4 works best, the increaded strok and minor cam change only make it (A4 pump) a little happier :)