• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door panel vinyl fitment issues

jdarwin

I've searched the site for over an hour and can't find an answer to my problem, so here it is: I have a new door panel (complete) but when I installed the metal strip on top of the panel backing and lined up the holes to secure it, the vinyl is not long enough to fold over the top of the metal part. Also, I can't get enough vinyl past the hole for the door lock. I'm thinking about cutting the panel backing down 1/2" or so to allow the metal strip to sit down further and therefore provide enough material to cover the metal strip and cover the hole for the door lock. Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you resolve it?

post-18078-13667642808286_thumb.jpg

post-18078-13667642810044_thumb.jpg

1976 Polaris

If you still have your original door panel, lay it over the new one and line up the holes. This will show you if you need to trim the new one at the top or bottom (or both).

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I still have the old door panel (complete) and it seems the vinyl at the top is longer which allows it to fold over the top. My question is; do I trim some of the hard backing down to allow the metal strip to sit lower allowing the vinyl to fold over?

1976 Polaris

Oops, sorry. I thought it was the new cardboard part that was different.

Not sure what you can do.

Maybe send the vinyl back where you got it from and ask for some that fits?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Oops, sorry. I thought it was the new cardboard part that was different.

Not sure what you can do.

Maybe send the vinyl back where you got it from and ask for some that fits?

Not really possible - bought from another '02 owner - he sold it in good faith and I think I can get it to work - just looking for some insight from someone who may have experienced the same.

1976 Polaris

You have overlaid the old and new panel to ensure they are the same size?

You should have started at the top but that should not be an issue. Will the vinyl stretch any more?

You definitely need some overlap at the top and bottom so they are unusable as shown. If you cut down the door panel it will look wrong on the door. If the inner panels old and new match then the vinyl is too small and you should contact the vendor.

s.jpgp.jpgx.jpgh.jpgm.jpg

BMW Lotus Healey Miata x 2

The unit came complete (vinyl and board). The only unfinished part was installing the metal strip at the top that I obtained from the old panel. That's where I've run into the issue. The vinyl is too short to extend over the top of the metal strip.

Again, this is an OEM unit (World Upholstery) so I thought someone else may have experienced the same issue and come up w/ a solution.

1976 Polaris