• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let The Fight Begin

bluebmw

Which do you prefer?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Roundie
    • Squarie

I'm partial to roundies, so I voted that way, but when I see any '02 on the road it doesn't matter. Still makes my day!

sneaky.jpg

are those ats classics i see? love them with those fatty pig cheeks.

matt

On Topic: roundies have the classic old school vintage = awesome. squaretails with the euro bumpers are what i plan to do.

FAQ member #4044

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I expect the votes to fall pretty much along party lines.

If you polled a bunch of engineers, they'd pretty much vote square... progress has seen to it that the squares are empirically better cars.

Those who are Purists and/or voting from the heart will side with the Roundies.

End of the day... it's all moot - they're both GREAT cars!

Cheers!

I'm an engineer. Have been for awhile.

And I vote ROUNDIE! But I'm biased.

Take that - big bumpered, square light freaks.

(you guys know I'm kidding - well, about the freak part).

And - you are right, round or square, both are cool!

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

I love 'em both, but prefer my roundies big.

Yes, the touring tail lights are larger than those on regular '02's.

Harry -

Now you are saying "Mine's bigger".

Shame on you.....

I have to admit - I love the looks of the touring....

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

• 4 months later...

Hell, I could care less that my car is square or roundie, or big or small bumper... all I know is I love to work on, drive, look at and get looked at in mine.... I don't really even give a shit that it's a BMW... it could be an AMC for all I care. It is what it is, and it is a beauty to me.

This discussion may only help perpetuate the popular notion that BMW drivers are persnickity snobs and many indeed arse-holes because they are like that in everything in life. A notion which I cannot totally discount due to some experience... although conviced it's way over generalized (as human nature tends to do) due to the fine folks I've dealt with on this forum!

People just like what they like... only some people actually do think they are better than others because of what they have materially. I'm hoping those people are in a very small minority... they just tend to also be the loud and obnoxious ones. And it's fortunate people just like what they like or else we'd all be driving the same car with the same color... although if that was the case it would be an Inka square tail with shortened big bumpers!! tee hee.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

Square tail lights don't look like nipples.

:^)

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

It doesn't matter which as long as she has no rust! 74-76 cars built stronger with additional body reinforcements compared to early roundies, and feel so. Get a 74+ with no rust and replace the rear center piece with one from a roundie, voila, best of both worlds!

Roundie versus Squaretail...

I know there are so many variations and opinions, but which do you prefer?

Stock or tons of modifications I don't care.

I just want to see what the community here thinks.

Well when deciding to buy an 02 I did some searching. Seemed the roundies tend to get rear ended more often due to the small tail lights. So I bought a square tail light. Now that I have owned it I love it. I am sure if I had a roundie I would lobe it as well.

I'm not as dumb as I look

74 Verona

06 Audi A3

09 Mercedes C300

06 VW Passat

03 VW Conv Beetle

I've owned 02's for 30 years and all have been 74 square tail light 2002/tii with the exception of my former 75 Euro spec 1802. I prefer the square tail light look, especially with Euro bumpers. I've driven many an 02 and I think the square tail cars are better built cars, they feel more solid. I can't emphasize enough, if you own a 74-76 US spec 02, your car will look so much better when you convert from US spec diving board bumpers to early or Euro bumpers. When my tii was repainted, that was the time to do the Euro/early bumper conversion along with removing the US spec side marker lights.

Sahara rocks!

G-Man

post-1228-13667649880363_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667649881732_thumb.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Guest Anonymous

Have to say I agree Gordon, your car looks really nice. I approve of the Vasek Polak license plate frames as well. If they are originals they are worth some money, the Porsche guys go nuts for them. When I get to the point of doing a "street" version 02 again it will be a 74/75 with Euro bumpers.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Round ones always..

Vin # 1567904. 69 Golf 1600-2

Vin # 1689995. 70 Golf 2002 ti

Vin # 3751763. 75 Golf 2002

Others.

1990 Ferrari 512m

1985 Lamborghini Countach Lp 500

1997.5 Hummer H1.

Dreaming about Audi R8 biturbo

Carlos.

Punta Cana. Dominican Republic.