• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bushing install problems in SF. Please help.

Beck180

I've got two days before the Bay Area 02 show to get my front end suspension done and all I can get done is a single rubber bushing.

First tried to use a threaded rod and washers and dish soap , but that wouldn't work.

Then I got a 6 ton press and was able to get one bushing in. Started on the second and it looks as though its gonna tear if I push it any harder. These bushings just seem too large.

Anyone with some advice? Anyone in the SF Bay Area who can help? Getting pretty desperate here as I was really hoping to show my first car ever this weekend at the 02 Bay Area Swap and Show.

Thanks

post-19520-1366764288809_thumb.jpg

post-19520-13667642889656_thumb.jpg

post-19520-1366764289131_thumb.jpg

post-19520-13667642892528_thumb.jpg

email me. i can install those within 15 minutes. i'm in marin and am taking thursday and friday off to hopefully get my beater 02 up and running for the show on saturday.

jerryallsmanATyahooDOTcom

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

I just recently did this with the right assortment of threaded rod, nuts and washers but the *key* thing was to use the center steel cylinder from the old bushing (take the old rubber off) and press on that steel cylinder which in turn will press on the steel cylinder on the new bushing. Then you overpress a little so the lip comes out on the other side and is able to overlap as it should. Sometimes you then have to then press it in a bit in the other direction until it sits just right. Silicon grease is also a must.

Here are some photos. I actually used a plate and cup from a HF bearing kit and the air gun made it very easy to screw things down as it did require a lot of pressure.

Hope that helps!

P1040470.JPG

P1040471.JPG

P1040472.JPG

Luis