• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Totalled my 02, Need Help.

Unforunately I totalled my Fjord blue :( So, insurance wants to give me 4600 dollars for it, but they only want to give me 40 dollars for my Hartage OZ 14" Wheels! How do I prove to them that they're worth a lot more if I don't have the receipts because the wheels came with the car? Help please!

Thanks!!!

Carter- SA1L

1976 Alpina Replica- Stage 3 Motor

http://www.Enthusiast-Garage.com

Become a fan on facebook! http://www.facebook.com/EnthusiastGarage

Perhaps you could keep the wheels and sell em yourself? If they're not damaged that is. Otherwise I'm with C.D., you should show them an internet ad for the same model wheels.

Sorry about your car. That's unfortunate but at least you're okay.

You need to do a lot of research to find the values of the basic car plus the additional equipment. Unless you have a policy that has a stated value for your car you have a steep uphill climb with your insurance co. You need as many examples as you can get showing current value for everyting.

There is a chance that unless you have a policy that covers anything and everything you have modified on the car (even if you did not do it and it came that way) then all they have been insuring is a stock 2002 and their lilability (what you and your insurance co agreed on when you signed the policy) is just a stock 02 of a given year and in what ever condition you can prove it was in before the accident.

There is a huge reason to have a policy that is a "stated value" and make sure you update it on a yearly basis. You need to make sure it covers any modifications you make to the car (mine actually asked specificly if there were any "modifications" and I supplied them with a complete list and pictures)

Good Luck

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I've been there, done that when my former 02 was totaled years ago. It's time to make lemonade out of lemons. Tell the insurance company that you want to buy the car back. They offered you $4.6K, salvage value for my 02 was less than $500. So you'll get your car back, a check for $4.1K and they'll deliver it to the location of your choice. Then you can start start pulling all the decent parts off (drive train, interior, undamaged body parts, etc...) Then go find another 02 and you'll have plenty of parts to make the next one right.

The other option is this. It's your car, pull your OZ wheels off of it and put a cheap set of roller wheels/tires on it (E21 turbines come to mind).

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Unforunately I totalled my Fjord blue :( So, insurance wants to give me 4600 dollars for it, but they only want to give me 40 dollars for my Hartage OZ 14" Wheels! How do I prove to them that they're worth a lot more if I don't have the receipts because the wheels came with the car? Help please!

Thanks!!!

E-mail me, I bought 4, 14x7 Hartge wheels a year ago on Ebay, paid via Paypal. I'll send you a copy my receipt, sans my address and card info of course.

Andrew Wilson

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I went thru this early this year, but they only offered me 1900! Anyhow thanks to advice from the FAQ I waited out.

Printed in state and out of state cars for sale/sold. Copies of all my receipts of work done on the car. And took no for answer. A month later after fighting and not getting a price I was after. I told them I'd get my own classic car adjuster and a lawyer. By the end of the day they called me back and gave me my assessed value of 60000.

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

All of the above.

Try to send in comparable for sale ads from the same year or even a year earlier. Especailly ads of cars with modifications like yours. Just send them so much information that it becomes overwhelming. I had to do this with my 76 when it was totalled. I called everytime I sent them emails to make sure they got my comps.

Just be persistant... and emphasize that its not a "fair maket value" if your not happy with the loss quote they give you. Just be ready to provide the proof. Good luck! let us know how it goes

68' 2002 (Project)

I went thru this early this year, but they only offered me 1900! Anyhow thanks to advice from the FAQ I waited out.

Printed in state and out of state cars for sale/sold. Copies of all my receipts of work done on the car. And took no for answer. A month later after fighting and not getting a price I was after. I told them I'd get my own classic car adjuster and a lawyer. By the end of the day they called me back and gave me my assessed value of 60000.

you got $60K ? nice. Go get yourself a nice new 5 series.

:)

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg