• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 tii Turbo

ahpolar

i think the guy deserve a bit more...

I dont think the guy is keeping the KF system since he wants to install a S14 ?

And CD suggestion is out of place, nobody would want logicaly to build a turbo system from scratch like if we where still in 1974.

The picture looks nice, but you dont want that, for a fraction of the cost of doing that you can get a very strong M10 with a MS system on it +turbo with 10-14psi of boost en plenty of juice.

-i run 18 psi on mine, i dont have forged pistons and it uses 100% stock internals, stock gasket, 5 times reused head bolts.

Pat,

On a more serious note about turbo M10's:

Did you ever try a metal head gasket on your car? The ones with 3 layers.

What brand of stock HG are you using now?

Any smoke issues at idle?

But what do I know

i think the guy deserve a bit more...

I dont think the guy is keeping the KF system since he wants to install a S14 ?

And CD suggestion is out of place, nobody would want logicaly to build a turbo system from scratch like if we where still in 1974.

The picture looks nice, but you dont want that, for a fraction of the cost of doing that you can get a very strong M10 with a MS system on it +turbo with 10-14psi of boost en plenty of juice.

-i run 18 psi on mine, i dont have forged pistons and it uses 100% stock internals, stock gasket, 5 times reused head bolts.

Pat,

On a more serious note about turbo M10's:

Did you ever try a metal head gasket on your car? The ones with 3 layers.

What brand of stock HG are you using now?

Any smoke issues at idle?

i never used multi layer gasket on any of my turbo projects. I feel it prety much useless, this is a band aid for poor timing/detonation control issue and improper mating surfaces. I blew only one gasket on my turbo cars in my life, and it was on my XR4TI when the wastegate broke at one time, it was boosting like 28 psi on bad gas, it pinged mad and blew out on a severe acceleration.

I use stock Reinz gasket on my actual 02, no smoke at all at idle (why would there be smoke at idle ?), it uses Ford Motorsport "top brown" injectors rated at #36 lbs/hr flow rate and a 2.5bar modified bosch RRFPR from a VW Corrado G

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

I have a multi layer metal HG with ARP studs torqued to 80 and I notice some smoke at idle and an oil seep around the head in the back.

Looking to confirm the use of a stock type HG and throw out the metal one in there now.

One cool side effect is that the motor when at idle blows little smoke rings that shoot out of the tail pipe.

Looks like I will be pulling the head and going the stock route. It is boosting in a nice safe 8-10 psi so not really worried about a blow out.

thanks, and if anyone else has first hand knowledge on m10 turbo head gasket use/recommendations, would welcome the input.

PS: the oil feed line is restricted to .60 and the spool has been rebuilt with new bronze journals.

But what do I know

I don't just yet, but I plan on CCing my combustion chambers and checking the piston/valve clearance because I'd like to put a stock HG on instead of the MLS. I feel more comfortable carrying around a spare stock HG knowing that any major detonation will probably (hopefully) blow the HG before putting a hole in the piston.

On a side note, anyone stacked factory headgaskets to decrease compression? I'm thinking purely along the lines of crap can racing.

I use stock 2 liter headgaskets on my race engines at 13.5:1 and have not had any trouble. The stock Tii, Ti, and Turbo headgasket had a cutter style flame ring but the problem with them is you MUST surface the head every time you take it off to give the next cutter ring something to grab onto. I reciently took a factory Turbo engine apart that had the whitness marks from at least 5 different cutter ring gaskets. No wonder the one that was on the engine was leaking!!

I have also used Cometic head gaskets and they have worked great and I have never had a problem with them. The head and block must be FLAT and SMOOTH for them to seal (the finish on both must be almost mirror smooth) I put my turbo together with a stock 2 liter headgasket (non cutter) but I built the engine for my customer with a Cometic because I will be much more carefull making sure the head gets retorqued on my car on a regular basis than I think his will.

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

As far as stacking head gaskets, I would like to be there when you try it, I can think of all sorts of reasons it won't work, I would be very interested to see which one of them happens 1st. If you want less compression take a set of flat top pistons and mill 0.050" off the top and use a E12 head, that should knock it down to about 6.9:1

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

. The head and block must be FLAT and SMOOTH for them to seal (the finish on both must be almost mirror smooth).

Well I can honestly say the surfaces on my block and head do not reflect like a mirror.

The current head gasket is coming off; like a Myole, a little trim here and there. Sucks that I just did this proceedure 3 weeks ago to drive it to Brisbane.

Third times a charm.

But what do I know

. The head and block must be FLAT and SMOOTH for them to seal (the finish on both must be almost mirror smooth).

Well I can honestly say the surfaces on my block and head do not reflect like a mirror.

The current head gasket is coming off; like a Myole, a little trim here and there. Sucks that I just did this proceedure 3 weeks ago to drive it to Brisbane.

Third times a charm.

i prefer some roughness in the surface so the gasket grips on the mating surfaces. Machining/surfacing scoring is good enough. shiney surfaces just help the gasket to slip if it ever wants to.

having a 0-ring machined onto the block is a cheap method too, with the stock gasket. now i remember i did this on my turbo 02 a while ago (1999 iirc).

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

The need for the glass smooth surfaces is for the Cometic gaskets. The steel composit gaskets can not "fill" the small surface irregularities and you will have small water or oil sealing issues. I like a smooth surface for the stock gaskets too, I have never had a problem with the gasket moving if the surfaces were clean when you assembled the engine. Unless you are planing on running >2.0 bar of boost pressure a steel composit (is Cometic) is more than capable of holding up to the abuse. Of course if you don't get the tune right and run lean and/or detonate all bets are off, nothing is going to save you.

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC