• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buy a Tii or Finish My m20 Car

Frenchee

So I can't make up my mind. I was wondering if anyone had some input or thoughts about this.

Either I pay a shop to finish my m20 turbo car for around 3k or...

I sell my car and buy a rust free 5 speed Tii for 4k.

Any thoughts?

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

The guy that wants to buy my m20 is getting it shipped to Texas. He wants me to fax him the title for the shipping company and to make sure that its my car.

Is that safe?

M20 Turbo 2002- Sold

1970 2002- Sold

1972 2002 Tii. - Sold

S50 e30- DD

I am going against the grain here, but finish the M20. You have plenty of time for tii's 3.0cs's and the like later in life. Get that M20 turbo running and enjoy it while tire smoke and boost still make you giggle like a little girl.

Don't pay a shop to finish it though, just get it so it can live outside and keep working on it your self.

or

buy the tii and re-sell to pay a shop to finish your car.

I am going against the grain here, but finish the M20. You have plenty of time for tii's 3.0cs's and the like later in life. Get that M20 turbo running and enjoy it while tire smoke and boost still make you giggle like a little girl.

Don't pay a shop to finish it though, just get it so it can live outside and keep working on it your self.

i agree. my first thought before reading the responses was to build up the discipline to finish the job you started. there's a certain sense of satisfaction in completing a project that can not be substituted. your M20, if i'm not mistaken, was embarked in the middle of your earlier project.

if you jump from project to project without completing any of them, then you run the risk of never being satisfied with what you have. i understand that 'life gets in the way' sometimes and of course there are exceptions, but you might want to stand back and ponder this for a second.

i'm only throwing this out, because you asked....

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Finish it, you know you'll look back when you're older and say "damn, I wish I had finished that car, it would have been so much fun".

I love my agave and I'm never going to sell it, but I'm building the turbo car because I feel like young gearheads need to have some nutty car early in their life.

Get off your ass, meet some more car people, and start finishing it up yourself. You should be able to do everything but the tuning and probably the welding yourself. You need to change your mindset from "I can't do this and it's going to cost a bunch to have a shop do it" to "I can do it if I sit down and put my mind to it".

*putting on my flame suit* There's nothing special about a tii beyond the believed collector value. Honestly, I have no intention of ever buying one because I think they're over priced. Sure, only about 10% of the 2002 production was Tii and they are a bit quicker stock, but a lightly worked over carb'd M10 will propel a normal 2002 just the same.

I also like to mod my cars and I feel like the non-tii is a better car to do that to, less flaming by purists and less to worry about driving it around(in case you get crunched).

Don't sell a cool project just to buy a Tii, convince your dad to buy the Tii so you can flip it or something.

Edit: if you buy the nice tii you're going to be constantly worrying about it when ever you leave it somewhere, that's the one thing that makes my Agave hard to drive around town. If your '70 is reliable, keep both the 2002's, if not maybe sell it and find a more reliable.

Finish the m20. You will love it and have the satisfaction of finishing a project.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

So I can't make up my mind. I was wondering if anyone had some input or thoughts about this.

Either I pay a shop to finish my m20 turbo car for around 3k or...

I sell my car and buy a rust free 5 speed Tii for 4k.

Any thoughts?

Heres one that hasnt been said...What kind of car do YOU want? Me? I like to tinker and mod, so a Tii is a BAD choice for those that want that. Also if you want it anything other than stock and maybe a few upgrades, a Tii is a bad choice. So do you want a pristine collectable car that may appreciate in value, but you wont really mod, or do you want a fun old car that you can mod and have a blast with? If you wanna mod it then keep the m20'd 02. If you want collectible then get a Tii.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

since u already seem to have the the cash to pay a shop to finish ur project, put that on hold and buy the tii. make sure it's in good condition for a flip, else u'll be sinking more money, then sell it for a profit. then finish ur turbo project urself (or shop if u choose since u'll have extra $ in ur pocket now).

my project blog:

craaaazzy's 2002 project

Flipping always involves some luck. Hope you can sell for alot more than you bought, hope nothing is wrong that you may overlook, hope nothing happens to it until you can sell, etc. Do you have a place to store until you can flip? What if you can't sell in a reasonable time frame? I have flipped and done well and sometimes not. It's a bit of a chance but if all turns out well you could have extra cash. If it were me (but it's not) I would finish your M and enjoy.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)