• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Temp Gauge Fluctuation on tii

Just took the '73tii for its annual inspection and I noticed the temp gauge bouncing a little but climbing to 3/4, and it used to never go that high. I figured it was low on coolant or the dreaded ground nut was loose or corroded on the back of the cluster. Checked the coolant at the mechanic's and it was fine. Just figured it was the ground.

Well, I filled up the tank with gas on the way home and "with a full tank" the temp gauge nailed just below 1/2 (where it should be), and it stayed there without moving, all the way home.

Anyone else experience this? I never thought the fuel gauge would affect the temp gauge, but it sure appears that way on my '73tii. Car is very original btw...I don't recall ever removing the cluster for anything. I guess it may be time!

Any ideas?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Sounds like lack of good grounding on the temp/fuel gauge portion of the cluster. Unless someone has gone into the cluster before and added the additional grounding, it won't be there.

Here's how I did mine, or use the search:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,826499/highlight,/#826499

John

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Guest Anonymous

A problem with the temp gauge getting whaccky can be the circuit board can get a crack in it. I gave up on mine as besides the cracked board I sort of like to know what my coolant temperature is in degrees F not in degrees blue white and red. I left everything in place and put in a gauge that shows coolant temperature in good old fashioned degrees.

have fun

Thanks John....I'll look at the cluster...it's never been out before asaik....car is very original, as I said. Been rock solid for every 117k miles. I just need to drive it more than 30 some miles a year!

Every time I take it out to drive something goes wrong of late...the starter is starting to go now too (original starter!)...so an e30 M3 starter is goin in there!

It's always somethin!

Thanks again,

John

Sounds like lack of good grounding on the temp/fuel gauge portion of the cluster. Unless someone has gone into the cluster before and added the additional grounding, it won't be there.

Here's how I did mine, or use the search:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/p,826499/highlight,/#826499

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

John - sounds like you need to exercise your cars more often. Tii's don't like to sit - they get mad and start causing headaches when ignored.

I'll gladly come up to PA and take Hugo out for a very long drive (back to VA!) ;-).

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Ha! Ha!

Yeah Jim, I agree.....I need to get the cars on the road more often. Last summer was just horribly hot, I got lazy.

The 73tii's rear brakes went bad last year....no doubt from sitting for too long with the emergency brake on..original rear lines! Needed to change them out anyway....it was a costly repair though (about $800).

And C.D., you are absolutely correct about keeping the tank full. I am using the Ethanol Treatment Additive from Eastwood in all of my cars now. Scary what that crap does to old steel fuel tanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"