• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1990 320 Touring

evanc

Hey Fellas,

Can't remember if I posted about the 320 Touring I picked up back in September of last year, but wanted to share. Not totally sure on the history of the car other than it was imported to Poland from Germany 6 years ago. It's in good shape for being a Germany/Poland car. It does have some rust, but the last two owners always had it garaged, as do I. It's a basically a bare stock Touring with lowering springs.

e03posting2011.jpg

e08posting2011.jpg

e10.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

The 2 litre version of the M20 is a dog and it burns way more fuel than I was expecting. I was driving for the first couple of months, but then quickly realized how much I was spending in fuel just to get to work. Then my buddy I met here in Warsaw from r3vlimited told me that he was going to sell his 2.7L motor with an Alpina chip. The motor is an Super ETA motor with a 2.0L head. I could be wrong but I was told that this is the same setup that Alpina used? What I can tell you is that the amount of power now is GREAT. It also has a lightened flywheel so it revs so much faster. I love being able to still pull in 4th gear.

The power is great, but now the problem is that the suspension needs to be rebuilt! Also need a LSD so I can really hammer on this thing. I'd like to get to the Nurburgring this fall, but we'll see how much money I can dump into a dif, suspension and exhaust.

I can get custom exhaust built out for $350, so tempting to get it all done at once, but I'm being patient and letting my bank account recover first.

I think that about the time everything will be done on the car, it'll be time to ship it back to SF!

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

Project Thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,339365/

Love those E30 tourings!

My Baur E21 has a 2.0 M20 (with carburetor) and it is the same way, low on power and high on gas use. I think it only had about 120hp new.

I also plan on doing the 2.7 block/ 2.0 head conversion soon. All I've heard is good reviews about it.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

Hi Harry,

I agree, the E30 Tourings are nice cars, but that 2.0 M20 had to go... the 2.7L is AWESOME. I love the setup and my fuel consumption is less and I have more power! Great deal.

I've only had the 2.7L setup for a few day, but from what I've experienced so far I highly recommend it.

Good luck with your swap. What kind of exhaust are you planning on running?

Love those E30 tourings!

My Baur E21 has a 2.0 M20 (with carburetor) and it is the same way, low on power and high on gas use. I think it only had about 120hp new.

I also plan on doing the 2.7 block/ 2.0 head conversion soon. All I've heard is good reviews about it.

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

Project Thread: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,339365/

Hi Harry,

I agree, the E30 Tourings are nice cars, but that 2.0 M20 had to go... the 2.7L is AWESOME. I love the setup and my fuel consumption is less and I have more power! Great deal.

I've only had the 2.7L setup for a few day, but from what I've experienced so far I highly recommend it.

Good luck with your swap. What kind of exhaust are you planning on running?

I plan to upgrade to the 323i dual exhaust eventually. Aftermarket exhaust systems for E21's (especially 6 cyl ones), are hard to find.

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I here ya on the hard to find exhaust parts for the e21 especially that SS Header I mentioned above.

The motor is in and really fun to drive. I can't tell yet if it uses more gas or not, but to be honest I'm not even concerned about the gas usage. I drive so seldom that it really doesn't matter.

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

Congrats Evan! Bet you can't wait for that car to be 25 so it'll be easier to import..... Love the tow hitch. :)

Rumor has it that your '02 will have a detachable nose. ;^)

Sean says Hi too!

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Congrats Evan! Bet you can't wait for that car to be 25 so it'll be easier to import..... Love the tow hitch. :)

Rumor has it that your '02 will have a detachable nose. ;^)

Sean says Hi too!

Whad up doood.... Detachable nose? Really. You drop by the shop to see my car... do tell ;)

I can't wait to get this touring back in North America. I love the 2.7L I just got swapped in. Still searching for a slip tho.

You on Skype?

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Ahh ok... I need to call him and see what's happening with the nose. I'm open, but not if the cost is going to sky rocket the price.

Met an 02 owner here by chance when he was going to renew his car insurance in the building behind where I live. He's been on the FAQ before, but not sure if he posts. I'm curious to see what can be found here... that isn't entirely rusted to bits. Now that would be fun, to have an 02 here! That means I'd have two cars here?! If that's the case I'll have to have two BMWs on every continent I live.

Evan Chong

1990 327 Touring Schwarz

70/M20 02 (Body Shop)