• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Requesting advice on a possible trade for a 74 02

vpnwiz

Hi all,

I've been reading a TON through the FAQ here for the last day. There are so many helpful people here and you all have such a nice community, it's really great to see! Such a nice surprise coming from some of the Toyota and Honda forums :)

My name is Patrick, I live in NE Ohio (between Akron and Medina if you know where that is), I have three kids between 8 and 11, I race a supercharged Miata in NASA PTD, and love to work on cars (everything except taking apart engines) and drive my tractor. I just got divorced and the ex moved 20 miles away and I need a car that gets decent mpg (30 is a target) on the highway, is dependable for 40 miles a day 3 times a week, and is safe for the kids to ride in. My daily driver is an '08 F350 so you can see why I am looking for better mpg! Obviously safety is important to me too, but within reason, I mean I grew up riding on my mom's lap and then graduated to laying on the rear package shelf of a Ford Galaxy while my dad drove us all over, and I'm still around... :) Anyway, now that you know my life story (sorry if it's TMI!), on with it.

My other car is a '91 MR2 and for sale for the obvious reasons (only two seats) and because it also - with very inconvenient timing - now needs the engine rebuilt. I successfully beat down the internal voices that told me to swap a V6 into it and make it a track monster, and put it on craigslist. I got an offer to do an even trade for a '74 02 yesterday. I've always, always loved the 02s and this is quite an interesting offer to me and I am taking it very seriously. The seller seems to be straight up, honest, he took good close ups of the car and I have linked to them in a web album (at the bottom of this post). I just don't know anything about these cars to know if it will do what I need it to do, my emotions say "do it!" but I don't want to get screwed. I guess what I'd like to know most of all is if the rust is bad enough to stay away from it. This car will be driven and used (when it's sunny - probably not when it's raining - definitely never in the snow) if I get it! I do like to "tinker" and would have 3-4 days a week to play with it or fix things that might not be too serious. Worst case if it's broken down I could always drive my truck, but that would defeat the purpose of getting this :)

The car is in Erie, PA and is not being driven (no insurance). Seller says it has 80k mi, 4 speed, brand new brakes, upgraded Bosch ignition and a rebuilt 32/36 carb, he says "did a full rebbuild on it, gaskets, diaphram, power valve, etc. cleaned all the jets. it runs good but definetly rich, i dont know how to adjust the screw on there to make it run perfect." I am going to assume "rich" = really bad mpg and would need to be adjusted out. I have a wideband o2 that I can use to check A/F ratios but I really know nothing - seriously nothing - about carburetors... I'd need to learn how to adjust the carb right away, is it hard? Also the gas pedal looks to be broken and I read about this a few other places in the FAQ. How hard is the fix for that?

The body, well... I'm not too sure about it. Like I said it will be a driver and all I really care about there is that it looks good from 5' to 10' away, but is the rust bad enough to walk away? On the drivers door, the seller said he took the rock guard off (why, I don't know) and it peeled the paint off, which made the door rust, he says it is only surface rust. He still has the piece and I can sand/prime/reattach without much effort unless this is a warning sign I don't know about. What about the rusty spots on the rocker panel, rear wheel well and up front? The sunroof looks the worst to me.. I could sand and prime/paint but probably could not blend and would need to do at least the whole roof just to fix it. My prep work is great but my painting skills are ok at best...

As for safety, I did a lot of searching on seat belts here and around the web. It looks like some retrofit for rear shoulder belts is possible. I consider that a nice to have and not a requirement as long as there are functional lap belts all around, but if anyone has any comments on that, or using this car to drive my kids around in (almost all highway miles) please, please! speak up.

This got quite long for a first post, sorry about that... any other comments you may have about using an '02 for my intended purpose, the reliability (or potential lack thereof :)) of it, or anything else on topic, please feel free, I thank you in advance! Have a great day!

https://picasaweb.google.com/vpnwiz/BMW2002Photos?feat=directlink

The claims about the millage mean nothing without documentation; if you can prove that it has only 80K, then the car might have promise to be reliable driver with some work.

On the other hand, the body looks pretty rough. The rockers and even the rear shock tower look iffy. On that basis I'd be inclined to look elsewhere.

I'm sure others who are more knowledgeable than I can be more helpful.

hnichols

True, and to be honest I'm really not at all bothered if it's 80k or 180k... this would never get "restored" in the true sense of the word. Maybe fixed up to be a good driver and that's about it... if it's not too much work. Sounds like it might be though. Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Patrick - welcome to the forum. There are many members in the Ohio area that will chime in. From the pictures that 74 looks a bit ruff- Rust showing = more rust underneath. But these cars are not as easy to find as they once were. Usually guys will bring in a 76 from California and build from there. 2002s are a very practical and fun. Parts are available and not too expensive. The back seat will hold your kids just fine.

Good luck and hope you find a nice 2002 to become part of the madness here.

This Might be a better option.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2398089948.html

Joseph O'Neil

73 02 - Polaris - 2587250

67 2000 TiLux- Chamonix - 1451152

Of course you'd need to inspect in person and drive the car to be sure...but from the looks of that one tie rod end in the picture I'm thinking I'd want to replace pretty much everything on the front end before heading off down the freeway with my kids in the car. From the pictures of that car, there appears to be a whole lot of "catching up" to do, just to make it safe....then there's the obvious rust issue. Personally, if I was in your position and needed something rather quickly, I'd be looking at a used Honda Civic or Accord or something similar, rather than a rusty 02 that appears to need a lot of TLC. Good luck.

The older I get the better I was!

this is a $200 'bucket'

trading your MR2 for this would be murder in

some states -

sure you can fixher up and not restore it - just to drive it

around

but it's best left to the pick-n-pull yard to

help others live on. This ones dead.

this is terminal

drivertower.jpg

Erie PENN is the toilet for 02's

someone forget to flush for this one - really

driver%252520rocker%252520panel.jpg

not (1) dime has been spent to

maintain the suspension, brakes, steering

TAG! - your it! to dump thousand$ into it-

sorry to say - the truth

frontend.jpg

One guess what these 'panels' are covering up ?

rockshield.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

source of help and advice, as a fellow Ohioan I can tell you that nice native-to-Ohio 2002s are few and far between--and this one isn't one!

If you're looking for a good reliable car that's gonna get you back and forth and still be more fun to drive than a Hondota or Mazzsan, look for a decent E30 BMW 325--you can get an eta 4 door sedan for peanuts--it'll last forever if it's not rusty will get you close to 30 mpg on the highway and be a ball to drive. I have an 87 E30 as a winter car to preserve my 02 from Ohio road salt and really enjoy driving it. Great heater too.

Just my 2 cents worth...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Personally, if I was in your position and needed something rather quickly, I'd be looking at a used Honda Civic or Accord or something similar, rather than a rusty 02 that appears to need a lot of TLC. Good luck.

+1 and add an AWD Subaru to your list of 4-cyl daily drivers; then, use that 3-4 days a week you have to tinker and find a NICE 02.

"Why would I pay that much money for a 1981 BMW that looks...like a 1981 BMW?" -Charles William Jones, Jr.

1975 Polaris, Sunroof

1976 Malaga

1993 E36 Sedan

1992 Mazda Miata

1998 Volvo V70

Personally, if I was in your position and needed something rather quickly, I'd be looking at a used Honda Civic or Accord or something similar, rather than a rusty 02 that appears to need a lot of TLC. Good luck.

+1 and add an AWD Subaru to your list of 4-cyl daily drivers; then, use that 3-4 days a week you have to tinker and find a NICE 02.

All good advice folks, I certainly appreciate the help. And you are spot on - the Honda's and Subaru's were (and are again) my short list of cars. I was so hopeful this would work out, I've always wanted a 02 and would much rather cart the kids around in something with a soul rather than a bland little transportation box. But after reading everything you all wrote, I agree, it's better to pass on this one.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise, hopefully I will be back someday with my own 02 to contribute. I'm nosing around '76's in California... I could use a nice long road trip right about now. If only diesel was back under $3 a gallon!

your welcome - come back with a healthier prospect

diesel in Connecticut is next to cheep low octane

$4.25 gal

W123300DTand2002.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Drive a nice 2002 and you will be hooked.

Here is a mash to keep the dream alive!

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cp&itm=bmw+1970s&loc=&fil=2002&ys=&ye=&ps=&pe=&pgs=100&submit=++++go++++

I think this might be on the other side of Ohio. But might be worth a look.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/2398089948.html

Joseph O'Neil

You're getting good advice! Like Mike, I have an E30 as an everyday driver. Most '02's you uncover in Ohio will be one baby step away from the shredder. I found mine in N. Alabama. (yeah, the shocks & brakes were toast, but I was a nooob) You can bolt on new parts, but RUST is quite costly and oft-times fatal to '02's. Dieter was not rusty, so he came north to play with his Ohio/MW pals. Happier times now that he has a devoted owner willing to INVEST in him. The one you are considering: no real love given to it since sometime in 1985 or was it '86??? RUN!!

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Joseph, that site is awesome! I spent so much time there last night just checking everything out, I sense a lot more time will be wasted - err, productively spent - there in the future too. Great link, thank you!

The E30 is a great idea. I'm now looking at those too. I think whatever way I end up going it will involve travel out of state to go pick it up, even for a cheap driver. I don't want to deal with rust anymore. New paint and upholstery (or a seat cover :)) is way easier to deal with than rust.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments everyone!

Patrick

Patrick my gift in life is to enable! You can tweak that mash around also to single out E30 ( info in tan box)- or what ever you want. I always forget to hit the grey GO button. Good Luck.

Joseph O'Neil