• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600 Brake System

My master cylinder was rebuilt by the PO but not installed on the car. What should I do about the servo unit??? Does anyone rebuild those??? I don't want to put that into a freshly painted engine bay, and have it leak brake fluid.

Any suggestions are always appreciated!!!!

2010 Mazda Miata GT PRHT

2011 Honda Civic LX-S(parts hauler)APPLIANCE ON WHEELS!!! Why would anyone drive this?????

1967 BMW 1600 EDDA 1528870

My Blog

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,353567/

If you have the "remote" servo then, sit down.

Jaymic (UK) has remanufactured ones.

My Touring (RHD) has two of these buggers and I just got a quote for a little over $900, incl shipping, for a pair.

I do not know of anywhere over here (USA) that rebuilds them.

You may want to consider switching to the later style servo/booster.

Unfortunately, my RHD car has no alternative that I know of.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I converted mine to the newer style as well. I found a donor 1600 and converted it. You'll need the brake lines, pedal bucket, booster support, booster and master cylinder.

It's a much better setup as a leaky master cylinder doesn't rot out your floorboard.

1968 BMW 1600 US VIN 1560713

manufactured on October 2nd, 1967

http://mybmw1600-2.blogspot.com/

Hemmings Motor News--there are bound to be places in the US that rebuilt vacuum servo units for antique cars, and if so they'll be in Hemmings--either the magazine or their Vintage Auto Almanac...

Happy hunting

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

PBE in San Jose will rebuild the entire servo for $250 I'm calling this a win for me!!!

Great price , if it's a full rebuild.

The rebuild kits from BMW (NLA) were pushing $200 many years ago.

Let us know how you get on.

Les

FAQ Member #17

how's da beater doing?

It's doing great Rob. Made it to the Mid-America & back (which is more than the Touring did) in April.

I've put a new carpet set in and a cheap ($30) strut bar in front, so there's something shiny under the hood, and the Recaros.

Did put another 5 spd in, but only half the noise went. I guess the diff will get changed one day, then maybe the noise will disappear altogether.

It's been real reliable. Hope saying this doesn't put the mockers on it now.

Les

FAQ Member #17