• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

elusive VIN number - whtas the deal

The deal - #3 owner 1975 2002 being sold for $3200 obo - not so daily driver, engine runs very well, shifts nice, stops straight, no pulling. body appears stragith, some repaint but lids are faded and sun damaged. overall, could be a good find.

The skinny - #3 owner has owned car for only 6 months. claims fmaily and finance issue force the sale. he purhcased from 2nd owner of 10+ year. car was parked for last 3 yrs. owner records show service dating back to 03 from a local shop. owners name and address has been cut from invoices.

The issue - I've asked the owner 4 times for the VIN number but he still has not produced. VIN plate (and clolor sticker) has been removed from car and area painted over. #3 owner orignally agreed to let me have the car "pre"-inspected. HOWEVER, I have left vm and txt for #3 owner but he has is not returning my calls.

SO - what's the deal?

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano

there is the VIN plate, and the VIN is stamped on the body (as you may know) near the spot the plate is, and if really original, there is a sticker on the drivers side near the latch with the VIN, and there is the VIN on the engine, which should match all the other numbers, so unless removed intentionally, the VIN is there, even if the VIN plate is not. If all the other VIN's are there, and they check out, I would not worry about no VIN plate, that can be replicated and replaced

Vin plate above ignition also.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

+2.

GL,

Ray

+1

Who knows what the the deal is but, why keep bothering with it.

Just move on to find a more reputable car and seller.

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

it could very well be a '76 model that he's trying to pawn off as a '75 for obvious reasons to any californian having to deal with smog. i had a '76 that did NOT have a VIN plate nor the rivet holes to indicate that it ever had one.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

FYI.

A lot of US '76s came from the factory with no VIN plate. Like my Sahara parts car.

However, the VIN was stamped onto the passenger inner fender up near the windshield.

The deal - #3 owner 1975 2002 being sold for $3200 obo - not so daily driver, engine runs very well, shifts nice, stops straight, no pulling. body appears stragith, some repaint but lids are faded and sun damaged. overall, could be a good find.

The skinny - #3 owner has owned car for only 6 months. claims fmaily and finance issue force the sale. he purhcased from 2nd owner of 10+ year. car was parked for last 3 yrs. owner records show service dating back to 03 from a local shop. owners name and address has been cut from invoices.

The issue - I've asked the owner 4 times for the VIN number but he still has not produced. VIN plate (and clolor sticker) has been removed from car and area painted over. #3 owner orignally agreed to let me have the car "pre"-inspected. HOWEVER, I have left vm and txt for #3 owner but he has is not returning my calls.

SO - what's the deal?

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17