• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 miles over!

Gil. H.

So this morning I'm driving in to work and I get pulled over for going 73 in a 70 going downhill on I35 in New Braunfels, Tx.

I tell the officer, "You pulled me over for 3 miles over the limit, that's not even outside a margin of error?" He looked at me like I was nuts.

Never thought my Roundie would be a "hot" car.

Gave me a warning........Sheesh.

Gil. Hernandez
'73 2002 - Fjord Blue
Austin, TX

So this morning I'm driving in to work and I get pulled over for going 73 in a 70 going downhill on I35 in New Braunfels, Tx.

I tell the officer, "You pulled me over for 3 miles over the limit, that's not even outside a margin of error?" He looked at me like I was nuts.

Never thought my Roundie would be a "hot" car.

Gave me a warning........Sheesh.

He probably just weighed the likelihood that you would take it to court, in which case he would have to explain to a judge why he bothered to stop you for doing 3 miles an hour over.

I went to high school in central Texas and, as much as I like the area, the cops suck. While I certainly had my share of idiotic teenage driving, every time that I got pulled over it was because I was young and out late, not driving a truck, or just looking suspicious (I guess). In my opinion, the mentality of the police in central Texas a bit too authoritarian.

I've had them cuss at me, accuse me of driving under the influence, ask where I was stashing the drugs and ask me what kind of V8 I swapped into the 2002. The only tickets that I've actually been given were a few for speeding and one for having an inspection out.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Dang - I agree that the cops are pretty aggressive in Central Texas. Driving Austin --> Houston and Austin --> Dallas recently I saw more than 6 speed traps in a row...

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

If it was a state trooper, that is typical, I hate those donut sucking SOB varmits. There only purpose in my opinion is to collect revuenue for our "guvnah", Pretty Boy Perry.

My .02 cents.

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

old Renault! Thought they were gonna dismantle the car looking for drugs. And they were rude enough to my wife and I that we wrote our congressman to complain...

That was back in the day before terrorists trying to sneak in!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

FYI there is no margin of error. You can get cited and it will stick if its ONE MPH over. The margin of error thing is a fairytale ESPECIALLY in a 70 MPH zone. In a 55 maybe but the thought is you are going over 70...you get a ticket.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Driving back from The Vintage, a cop pulled up along side as I was doing exactly 70, speedo and GPS agreed. Think he ran the plate, as I was technically resisting arrest by following the law. He sped off, followed closely by a Chrysler 300 with the VA plate LUV MUFF.

post-19704-13667644154004_thumb.jpg

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I'd get somebody to video a bouncy speedo needle in an 02. I know mine bounces at certain speeds. go to the judge and explain that your car is 30something years old. the speedo is no longer accurate. show him the video... and mind your manners.

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

After 20 years in San Antonio and another 8 in Austin, I've definitely had my share of experience with the cops in those areas. New Braufels has grown too fast and probably needs the money. I remember when it was just a little town.

My folks still live in that area and the cops in their town should be considered revenue, not law enforcement.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

I've always been under the impression that a police car can only go over the speed limit if the driver is on a "call" with lights a blazing.

I'm realising in my part of Texas that's not the case.

The quickest way to get anywhere is follow a police car. So I do.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

helloo are crazy!? that's 1,3 meters per second faster than it's safe! Just imagine what could happen when you spill your beer or your cigarette falls in your lap and you look down for just one second, then hell is loose my friend...

Gotta love the police - keeping safe the public roads from maniacs in 30something year old cars ;)

You guys have it easy... I went on holiday in Mozambique last year and the cops pulled me over(I was doing about a gps 115kph in a 120kph zone) and told me I was doing 145kph, even showed me the radar reading. I knew something was funky. They then started hinting that they wanted something or i will be spending a night in jail(the one place on earth you REALLY don't want to go to jail, trust me) So I just played dumb and acted like I had all the time in the world. So I the let me go.

What they do is they pull over all foreign cars and pull the same trick, but time is money, so if you play it slow, you get away free.

But If your in Angola, I recommend you take extra bribe cash, coz they WILL lock you up for NO reason at all and the next day just say sorry it was a mistake..

Gotta love africa

Regards

Jacques

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...