• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

no vin# on motor?

Hello,

Just wondering what the significance of motors without vin's would be. It's just a blank area where vins would we. No scratches just a flat smooth area with two x's on each side.

I assume its a factory replacement, but does that mean the engine was changed early on?

Does this effect the cars price if all other numbers match?

Is it possible and worthwhile putting # on there.

Thanks in advance for the replies

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

No numbers means it is a BMW replacement motor. They are still available so you guess when it was replaced.

Value only matters to some. Some may want to have a newer motor no matter what the numbers say or do not say.

It would be good if you knew when it was replaced

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Motors from BMW can come in short or long (with the valve head) block. This would also be good to know if you can find out. Without history give the motor a compression or leak down test. Ultimately health is more important than the date or miles.

The motor runs great but its my conscience that I want to calm.

The motor, even without a tune up runs like a champ so I guess that's worth more than a stamped engine

1971- 02-Malaga -(Ginger)- 2nd owner

1973-02- chamonix (sold)

pardon any grammatical errors in my posts, im probably on my cell phone.

Here is a link to my old post to document the information found on my Factory Rebuilt engine that I believe was from the mid 90s. If you can locate the info from the head as well as casting dates from distributor housing, and underside of the valve cover you might be able to date the engine more precisely. If I recall, I heard that the XX stamps were used in the 80s.

I have part dates ranging from 74 to 87 on my kit.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=50&page=viewtopic&p=772812

--> 1968 2002 <--