• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spax introductory sale (2002 and 1 E21 set)

mooseheadm5

Hmmm... I keep thinking about chucking a strut into a lathe and turning down the rod a couple of inches... Do you think that they are fully hardened or just case hardened? And I wonder what a few hundred rpm would do to the interiors of a strut...

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

I think they are fully hardened, but with the correct tooling you can cut them for sure. I don't think that rotation in a lathe will affect the internals one bit. You just have to make sure you don't crush the body of the strut with the chuck.

I think they are fully hardened, but with the correct tooling you can cut them for sure. I don't think that rotation in a lathe will affect the internals one bit. You just have to make sure you don't crush the body of the strut with the chuck.

Hmmm, I got access to a lathe but no bad struts to play with, anyone wanna throw something my way? :P I would need a strut like, THIS week cause I loose access to the lathe mid next week. If anyone in seattle wants to give up a bad strut or two cheap or free (Doug?) I'm game for making a pair!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

I had a set of Spax adjustables on my Triumph TR8 race car. I liked them, but they didn't hold up well to the higher rate springs. I suppose that would be true of just about any shock, but pay attention to what the manufacturer recommends for a spring rate range. I'd consider another set for a street car with softer springs.

Sale pending on 2002 cup kit.

I had a set of Spax adjustables on my Triumph TR8 race car. I liked them, but they didn't hold up well to the higher rate springs. I suppose that would be true of just about any shock, but pay attention to what the manufacturer recommends for a spring rate range. I'd consider another set for a street car with softer springs.

I have read that for some of the British applications that the piston rods were simply too thin at the mounting point due to the adjuster rod that had to go through the center causing premature failure. This doesn't seem to be a problem with the BMW stuff since the piston rods used in these applications are much larger diameter. Not sure if that is what you were referencing or not, though. We do have a few E28 sets out there with people running coilovers with higher rate springs for track use with no issues.

Off topic here, but I think I remember you saying you'd have Motorsport Roundels for sale at Vintage.

Did you have any for an 02 hood? If so still available.

Email me at jason(@)noahlarmz.com

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

I'm trying to research this 'cup kit' and I'm not finding much on the internet for the 2002 application.

Is the kit comprised of PSX shocks/struts and SSX springs?

Is there more than one 'cup kit' available?

1975 Polaris 2002 (RAT 02E), 1962 mini Cooper S

1994 Land Cruiser - expedition vehicle, 2012 VW Touareg TDI.
2002 restoration blog - http://rato2e.blogspot.com/

I'm trying to research this 'cup kit' and I'm not finding much on the internet for the 2002 application.

Is the kit comprised of PSX shocks/struts and SSX springs?

Is there more than one 'cup kit' available?

It is indeed comprised of the PSX dampers and SSX springs. Grice bought this kit and will hopefully be able to give some feedback and some pics. We have not currently got any more in stock. We can order more, but they will be priced higher (since presumably we won't get those boxes soaking wet.) We do still have some dampers available and can get springs as well, though I do not believe that there are any springs in the warehouse at this time.

Why must I have no money... You guys plan to keep importing these?

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2