• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 1600 Solex Carb

I have just started having a problem with my 1600 not idling. It was stored in a climate controlled facility for 7 months, started & ran great right away. after driving a couple of times, the motor does not idle. It starts fine, runs great under acceleration and at more than half throttle. When coming off the accelerator or going along at 1/4 or 1/3 throttle the car runs rough & bucks. I have cleaned the carb & this seemed to cure the problem for about 1 min. Then the motor went back to no idle & rought running at low throttle pressure. Am I going in the right direction looking at the Carb or should I be looking into something else? The motor seems to be failing to run due to a fuel issue , it does not have the characteristics of ignition and timing. Any help or suggerstions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help!

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Try taking out the idle jet and cleaning it; don't use a pin or anything similar to that as you'll alter the jet oriface, but try compressed air; I've had a couple early '02's with the single barrel Solex and most recently a '69 2000 with the same Solex, cleaning of the idle jet is generally recommended now and then with these.

Tim

factory with trash somewhere in the fuel system...if I cleaned my idle jet once, I did it 50 times over a two year period until all the junk worked its way out of the circuit. And yes, that was with a fuel filter installed.

If your car doesn't have an in-line filter, install one just upstream from the fuel pump--and don't forget to remove the top from your pump (presuming it''s the OEM pump assembled with screws) and clean the screen that you''l find underneath.

Normally those 1 bbl Solexes are very reliable.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks to all for your ideas, I will continue with the cleaning of the idle jet. I will also look into cleaning the fuel pump as well as intsalling a 2nd in line fuel filter.

Joe

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I have the original BMW manual titled "The BMW Carburetor" covering the Solex DIDTA models. If you want an electronic copy to help troubleshoot this, just pm me through my profile link. Good luck.

-Marc

'73 2002 (Agave) - Horst