• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay: 1975 BMW 2002 Baur Targa - Georgia

Geronimo

(No Affiliation)

"1975 BMW 2002 Baur Targa

Brilliant Blue Exterior / Ferrari Leather Black Interior

Exterior Restoration

4 Speed

1 of 1900 Baur Built Targas

A recipient of a Fresh Exterior Restoration in the brilliant Blue, this 4 Speed Targa is truly a rare find. This 1975 BMW 2002 Baur Targa was part of a limited production run of 1963 units, between 1971 and 1975 by BMW factory authorized Karosserie Baur. They were also responsible for models such as the BMW M1 and Porsche 959. A Removable Targa Top rests above the front passenger compartment, behind it a Soft Cabriolet Top folds back to give the rear passengers a peak at the sun. Power comes from its original and efficient 2 Liter Inline 4 cylinder engine and 4 Speed Manual Transmission that has been regularly serviced and maintained. This Car is imported from Germany the speedo meter is in KM and reads only original 139.000 Kilometer = 85.000 Miles.

The car has Turbo Karosserie with front and back spoiler. Aluminum Rim’s and Recaro sport seat’s retail one Seat 2000 US$.

The Interior is Black leather used by Ferrari.

It breaks my heart but I have to sell this rare unique Car. This Car was driven on the German Autobahn and knows speed. It handles like a sport car and hugs those mountain curves like a Porsche.

If you are a true BMW collector or you just love the 2002 edition this is a must have. These cars are selling up to 40.000 US$. There is no reserve on this car. I hope it will find a good home."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180675435782+&viewitem&clk_rvr_id=238893611210#v4-37

post-353-13667644275235_thumb.jpg

Poor car is getting clobbered by the peanut gallery over at Bring A Trailer:

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/06/08/1974-bmw-baur-targa/

It sure is, but it doesn't seem like many of the commenters are familiar at all with the Baur models. Of course, they're having the same reaction that I had when I first laid eyes on a Baur; "Looks rare, but I don't think that I would buy one."

Anyway, while the paint choice may be a matter or taste, the ridiculous steering wheel and rear spoiler have got to go. Also, Baur cars have brackets in the trunk for the targa top, which it missing in this car.

$(KGrHqR,!h4E3OF)UlTuBN5qSml,dw~~_3.JPG

7648166-400-0.jpg

I'm not sure if this means that brackets were removed, that it's not a real Baur or if the brackets weren't in all of the cars, but it's a little red flag for me.

Otherwise, the car doesn't blow my hair back. I'm a little surprised that it has topped the $10K mark on eBay.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

None of the BAT "experts" made a comment on the VIN Harry.

This Targa may just turn out to rarer than hen's teeth.

Good catch. What's the story with the VIN?

KGrHqNi8E3RvI-6QZBN5qR8FWZQ_3.jpg

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

Even though this Targa is a bit of a period-incorrect basket case, it does appear to be one of the Targas that was put together by BAUR without BMW's knowledge, hence its rather unusual chassis number starting with TP and which was given by the TUV and not by BMW. All this needs to be confirmed and verified of course.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI

Even though this Targa is a bit of a period-incorrect basket case, it does appear to be one of the Targas that was put together by BAUR without BMW's knowledge, hence its rather unusual chassis number starting with TP and which was given by the TUV and not by BMW. All this needs to be confirmed and verified of course.

I love this board. Learn something new every day.

Thanks for the info, Dirk!

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I love this board. Learn something new every day.

Thanks for the info, Dirk!

Credit goes to 02Les who started investigating. I did some follow up with the Germans. But yes, you're right, every day one learns something new.

Dirk

BMW Classic Car Club of America - www.bmwccca.com

'73 2002 tii - '72 2002 (targa) Cabriolet - '71 2002 (voll) Cabriolet - '71 2002 Rally - '71 2002 Alpina A2 - '70 2002 ti - '68 1600 GT - '65 1800 TI