• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running an aluminum radiator?

I have a new Silicon Garage 3-row ...... car still seems to run hot.

Question re. the Ireland Engr'ing aluminum: I heard the side mounts for it have to be cut somewhat to make it fit, something about getting clearance around the battery tray ??

Any specific knowledge and guidance about that ??

Cheers,

Carl

Unless you live in a very hot/humid environment I don't see why you need anything beyond the stock radiator. I just had my early (small capacity) 1600 radiator re-cored, with the standard core not even "3-row", and it made a HUGE difference in cooling/temps over the used 2002 radiator I had in there for years. Dead on now in terms of proper running temps. The 2002 radiator worked OK but always ran a little warm, and got to hot going up hills at high speeds. Now it stays in the middle or just above on the gauge all the time. Can't believe how much the new core helped. I also have the tropical version of the BMW engine fan, which I recommend for anyone as it moves alot more air across the engine.

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

I have a new Silicon Garage 3-row ...... car still seems to run hot.

Question re. the Ireland Engr'ing aluminum: I heard the side mounts for it have to be cut somewhat to make it fit, something about getting clearance around the battery tray ??

Any specific knowledge and guidance about that ??

Cheers,

Carl

IE does a good thing in making the side mounts tall and wide. this enables all kinds of mounting options. you can put holes where ever you need to. if you still have a battery in the front (who does that? :-)), yes, you have to make a small notch in the rad mount flange for the edge of the tray. 30 seconds with a hack saw.

2xM3

• 3 weeks later...