• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Liberty Belle B-17 crashes in Illinois, all safe . . .

f1reverb

That is really a tragedy. Very glad to see all the crew and volunteers made it out OK. There are very few of them left in flying condition. My son and I flew on that very plane from Charleston, SC to Jacksonville, FL a couple of years ago. An experience well worth the cost. We were the only 'passengers' and had free run of the plane. Unique experience sitting in the nose of the plane as we skirted the coast a very low level. The pilot buzzed the house of the owner of the plane. It was on a private island off the coast of Georgia and they were having a large memorial day party.

Steve

I actually had the honor to fly on the "Liberty Belle" a few years ago as a member of the media in Tucson. It really made me appreciate what the men who served must have experienced. It was tight, hot, loud, smelly, and truly amazing.

May she Rest in Peace.

post-19279-13667644543378_thumb.jpg

'76 BMW 2002

'75 BMW 2002 Resto Project

'64 Piaggio Allstate 125 "Allison"

Air Force Museum--we have the Memphis Belle (under restoration) and a couple of others, plus all sorts of interesting aircraft from Signal Corps Aeroplane #1 up to the F22.

Well worth a day if you like aircraft old and new...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

• 2 weeks later...

That makes me sad :( I have a soft spot for old war birds like that. I love the B-17's, DC-3's, etc. Glad everyone was safe inside. May she rest in peace.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2